Lift

Sameer had no intention of leaving the room in ten minutes.

"Aaj bhi rehne dijiye... kal ki party ke baad aaj thodi thakaan hai... hum dekh lenge baad mein... kuch aas paas ki jagah hi chale jayenge." He told the manager.

"Sir, jaisa aap theek samjhe... waise yahan din mein cab milna mushkil hota hai... saari bookings subah ho jaati hain... agar yeh booking miss ho gayi toh baad mein shayad na mil paye." The manager informed him.

"Koi nahi, yaar... ek do jagah nahi bhi dekhi toh kya hua... humne aaj tak poora Ahmedabad hi kahan dekha hai... aap yeh booking cancel kar do... baad ka baad mein dekhenge." Sameer tried not to sound annoyed, which he was.

Banging the phone down, he looked back at Naina. She had pulled the quilt over herself.

"Ab koi tang nahi karega... maine keh diya humein kahin nahi jaana." He shifted towards her.

"Kyon nahi jaana? Itni achhi jagah hain yahan pe... dekhni chahiye na... kamre mein baith ke kya karenge." She frowned.

He tugged at the quilt, "Main batata hun kya karenge."

"Sameer." She clutched it tighter at her chest.

"Tumne bulaya aur main aa gaya." He yanked off the quilt, taking her in his arms.

"Bula nahi rahi... uthne ko keh rahi hun." She tried to wriggle out.

He was least interested to leave the bed... or her.

"Abhi tak toh theek se dekha bhi nahi hai iss rang mein tumhe... abhi se kaise jaane dunga." He slid his hand on her side.

"Dekho... agar tum aise karoge toh dubara kabhi nahi pehenungi yeh." She gave him a threatening look.

"Kya Naina, har baat ke liye dhamki deti ho... college mein kasam de di thi... ab yeh naya shuru kar diya... tum biwi ho ya Don?" He said with a sullen face, straightening up.

"Haww... chaar din mein jaan se Don ho gayi... ek hafte baad toh daaku lagungi tumhe." She scowled.

"Lagogi hi... aise har baat mein daant dogi toh aur kya bolun? Log honeymoon pe isliye thodi aate hain ki har samay jhagda karte rahein... ek tum ho... bas taiyar rehti ho Jhansi ki Rani banne ko." He sat back against the headboard, crossing his arms.

"Woh toh main hun." She held her chin high.

"Kya? Don? Ya daaku?" He said dryly.

"Jhansi ki Rani... yaad nahi... tumne hi banaya tha." She raised her brows.

He recalled the times he had called her that... but remained silent.

"Ab bachhon jaise rutho mat... chalo jaake naha lo... bahar jayenge toh achha lagega." She got down from the bed, holding the quilt around her.

He sat sulking... not looking at her.

As she came around the bed, her eyes widened at the sight... the black gown of the nighty lay at one place on the floor... and her saree was spread on the other side of the room. She was horrified... how did both her garments end up on the floor... did she... did she change here... in the room? Quickly looking around, her eyes searched for other clothes... there was nothing.

Sameer watched her halt in the tracks. He saw her gaping at the fallen clothes... and knew what was going on in her mind. He continued to enjoy the changing expressions on her face, till she glanced at him, question in her eyes.

He shrugged... neither agreeing, nor denying.

She squeezed her eyes shut.

His heart melted at her predicament. He had realized one thing... she would always be shy about a few things.