Syllabus

"Naina Agarwal."

A heavy voice boomed in the dining hall.

All faces looked up at the source of the voice, then at Naina.

She got up from the chair and walked up to the warden who stood at the door with her spectacles perched on the nose and same strict demeanor as always.

"Jee ma'am." She said politely.

"Aao mere saath." Warden turned and walked out.

Naina followed with a fluttering heart.

What could it be... has someone come to know about her relationship with Sameer... maybe someone has seen them meeting in the ground, or caught them going or leaving... or is it something else... her father...

Her heart sank... making it difficult to reach the office.

"Baith jao." The warden said in a voice that was one shade softer.

Naina was surprised, but quietly occupied the chair opposite her in the small office.

"Tumne bataya kyon nahi ki tumhari tabiyat kharab hai?" She asked.

"Jee?" Naina was shocked for a moment... recovering immediately, "itni bhi nahi thi ki batati... koi baat nahi, do teen din mein theek ho jayegi."

She didn't know what the warden was talking about but it definitely had something to do with Sameer.

"Tumhare ghar se phone aaya tha." Warden shocked her again.

Before Naina could ask for details, she herself started narrating, "Tumhari badi behen, jinke saath tum abhi ek hafta reh ke aayi ho, aaram karne ke liye, unka hi phone aaya tha... unhone bataya ki kuch dawayen tum bhool aayi thi... wohi bhijwa rahi hain."

That moment, there was a knock on the door and the guard entered, "Madam, yeh packet Naina Agarwal ke liye aaya hai."

He carried a packet wrapped in brown paper.

"De do inko." Warden waved at Naina.

The guard handed her the packet and left. Naina held it with straight face... her insides screaming to know whom did he ask to make the call.

"Dekho, main strict hun jisse yahan ke niyam bane rahein... lekin agar kisiko koi bhi problem ho toh main mana thodi karungi madad karne ke liye... ye dawayen le jao aur khana main kamre mein hi bhijwa dungi... aur kisi cheez ki zaroorat ho toh bata dena... tumhari behen ne kaha tha ki tum bohot darti ho kyonki main ghar se aaye phone aur saaman pasand nahi karti... woh sab isliye jisse har samay kisi ko phone aur gate ki duty pe na rehna pade... lekin yeh toh dawayen hain... yaad se samay pe le lena... ab jao aur aaram karo." Warden smiled, probably for the first time.

At least it was a first for Naina.

She thanked her and left, trying not to run up the stairs... to keep the facade of her cooked up illness.

Once in her room, she quickly locked it and opened the packet.

A gasp escaped her lips.

It had loads of things... few packets of biscuits and chips, a bottle of glucose, chocolates, two cans of coca cola... and a few small airtight containers...

She opened first one to find two gulab jamun...

"Pagal ho Sameer tum bhi." She laughed.

The next one was real tight. She opened with great difficulty... even before she could see, the smell gave out the contents the moment lid loosened.