Juice

"Naina?" Sameer shook her a little to see how affected she was.

Once the waiter had left after the shocking revelation, he took a few moments to come to terms that he had himself made her take alcoholic drinks... now he was worried how she would react to it... also, scared to see the effect.

"Kitne achhe ho tum, Sameer... fir aisa kyon bola?" She murmured, eyes half closed.

He could detect a hint of slur in her voice.

"Naina, chalo, hum wapas chalte hain kamre mein... bohot der ho chuki hai." He said gently, stroking her cheeks.

"Nahi... mujhe nahi jaana... kyon kaha aisa tumne? Ab pyar nahi karte na mujhse?" She brooded, curving her lips in a pout.

He felt a stab in his chest... did his words hurt her to this extent? He replayed the conversation in his mind... and was filled with guilt instantly. What he asked would have sounded accusing to her... though he could never think of accusing her, even in his dreams, he did sound distrustful.

"Naina, meri jaan, main bohot bohot zyada pyar karta hun tumse... I'm sorry... mera aisa matlab nahi tha." He knew she couldn't comprehend what he was saying but he still said it... more for his own satisfaction.

"Tum... tum jao... main baat nahi... nahi karungi tumse." She lifted her head from his chest... swaying as she tried to shift her chair.

He held her again, more tight this time, "Chalo hum room mein chalte hain... fir jitna chahe gussa kar lena."

He stood up, supporting her. They walked to the main door, with his arm around her as she walked with a faint swing.

"Sir, aap log abhi se jaa rahe hain? Abhi kuch aur games hain... aur aap dono ko dekh ke lagta hai aaj saare gifts aapke paas hi aane wale hain." The manager stopped them near the door.

"Bas hum log aur nahi rukenge... meri wife zara thak gayi hai." He replied concisely.

"Thodi der aur... abhi ladies ki baari hai... woh apne husbands ko kitna jaanti hain yeh next game hai." The manager persisted.

"Lagta tha jaanti hun... par tumne aaj bata diya, Sameer... main toh tumhe jaan hi nahi payi." He could understand her soft mumblings, though the manager couldn't hear her clearly.

"Please, meri wife ki tabiyat bhi thodi theek nahi hai... isliye ab humein jaana hoga... aapki party bohot achhi hai... lekin sorry, hum aur games nahi khel payenge." Sameer gave an apologetic smile.

The manager didn't pester more, thanking them for coming... and presented another rose to Naina.

"Nahi chahiye... firse taane sunne ko milenge." She looked away.

The manager looked at her in confusion.

Sameer quickly took the flower from him, pointing towards the table they had been occupying, "Aap woh gifts aur phool hamare room mein bhijwa dijiye please."

He bowed, gesturing to a waiter at the corner of the restaurant. Sameer slowly walked Naina to their room, unlocking it as he balanced her against his shoulder. The waiter carrying their things knocked at the open door the moment they took a few steps in.  Sameer glanced back over his shoulder.

"Sir, yeh samaan." He pointed at the luggage.

Sameer waited till the person left the gifts and flowers on a table near the door.

He made Naina sit back against the headrest, before getting up to lock the door.

"Ab mujhe akela chod ke bhi jaana hai tumhe? Sameer, tum sach mein pyar nahi karte na mujhse? Par main toh karti hun... tumse... sirf tumse... bohoooooot saara." She dropped her head to the side, watching him as he walked away.