Rose

When they went out for dinner to the garden restaurant, Sameer looked around, his eyes searching.

"Aaiye sir, yeh table bohot achhi hai... yahan aapke paas privacy bhi rahegi aur aapko poora restaurant nazar bhi aayega." A waiter waved at the table behind a pillar that was decorated with fairy lights spiralling around it.

The garden restaurant had just about fifteen tables... it was an extension of indoor one where most of the people preferred to sit. Outside area was lit with strings of lights placed on the hedges around, and some burning torches kept at some distance from the seating. The wooden tables and chairs were painted white shining even in the dark night. Not many people were out, weather being a little chilly. But Sameer accepted the table shown to him, liking the idea of being able to keep an eye on the entire restaurant.

They settled at the secluded table, placing order for the food.

Naina had worn a cardigan, the weather too cold for her.

"Sameer, yahan garden mein toh aur bhi thanda hai... tumhe bhi sweater pehen lena chahiye tha." She was worried about him catching a cold.

He crossed his arms, relaxing back on the chair, "Madam, mujhe koi thand wand nahi lagti... Nainital ki sardi ki aadat hai mujhe... yeh toh kuch bhi nahi hai... waise bhi yahan abhi garmiyon ka mausam hai."

Naina pulled the cardigan tighter across her, "He bhagwan, yeh garmi hai toh yahan ki sardiyaan kaisi hongi... na baba, main toh aisi jagah nahi reh sakti... mujhe bohot sardi lagti hai."

He rested his face on the palm, keeping his elbow on the table, "Tumhare paas toh sardi bhagane ka sabse achha tareeke hai."

"Kya? Yeh sweater kaafi nahi hai... mujhe ismein bhi thand lag rahi hai." She shivered.

He spread his arms, "Aa jao... ek second mein saari thand door ho jayegi... promise karta hun... kisi sweater ki zaroorat nahi padegi."

She leaned, quickly pressing his arm down, looking around, "Kya kar rahe ho... pagal ho kya?"

"Hun toh... poora pagal... tumhare pyar mein." He dipped his head to the side.

Her gaze shifted back to him, a warm smile spreading on her face, "Sach mein pagal ho... aise hi rehna hamesha."

"Main toh hamesha aisa hi rahunga, Naina... tum bhi aise hi pyar karogi na mujhse?" He kept his crossed hands on the table, leaning to get closer to her, tilting his chair ahead.

"Tumhe kya lagta hai?" She raised her brows, resting her face on a fisted hand, just like him.

"Umm... mujhe lagta hai tumhara pyar kam zyada hota rahega." He pretended to be in deep thought.

"Huh... kya matlab?" She gave him a perplexed look.

"Matlab... jab main shave nahi karunga tab tum zyada pyaar karogi... jab main bina shirt ke rahunga toh tumhara pyar aur badh jayega... jab main tumhare kareeb..." His voice turned huskier as he stopped mid sentence.

"Achha... jaise tumhara toh kam zyada hota hi nahi na... tum bhi aisa hi karte ho." Naina failed to see the trap yet again.

"Main toh hamesha hi itna saara karta hun... batao kab kam zyada hota hai." He looked at her innocently.

"Hota hai na... jaise jab maine woh green saree..." She realised what all she would have to list.

"Bolo na, Naina... green saree... aur?" He prodded.

She pressed her lips, lowering her eyes.

"Tumhe batana padega... kab zyada hota hai mera pyar... agar tum nahi bataogi toh main woh saari cheezen ginwaunga... abhi... woh bhi saath baith ke." He gave a lopsided smile.