~Chapter 5~

Olive Gail

"So theres this two for one on pizzas at this Italian place . It's not far. Want to come with?"
I was dumbfounded. No one had asked me to go anywhere with them before. I shuffled awkwardly on the spot.
Me and Nick we're having to close up the shop today. It was close to quarter to five by the time we were ready to leave. I thought about his offer. Pizza sounded great. But I considered the fact that he might just be asking me to go with him to prove a point, put me off from going. Besides I had to walk Gerty at five.
"I'm not sure" I said awkwardly as he held my coat out for me.
"Come on Ol it's nothing malicious I promise. I was going to go with another girl but she cancelled on me" he said and looked to the floor.
"So I'm your rebound?" I asked and his eyes snapped up to meet mine.
"No! Yes. Ok maybe. She cancelled last minute and I already have a table booked for five" he sighed. He must have liked this girl.
"Why eat so early?"
Nick averted his eyes and I noticed a tinge of pink underneath his scruff.
"Well I was going to take her to this gig after and then go back to my place and..." he said and he didn't have to finish for me to know what he was hoping to do with this mystery girl.

I guess I didn't mind being his rebound. At least I would be getting food and it was the first time I'd have been out with a boy.

"Ok I'll go with you. But just for the pizza. Not because I like you" I said and he smiled. "Hang on Ive got to tell mum"
I picked out my phone from my pocket and dialled mum.
"Hiya. Nick has persuaded me to go to this restaurant with him so I won't be back until later. Could you walk Gerty?" I asked.
"Finally! God I've been waiting for you to go out. But I can't walk Gerty my darling I'm going for a drink tonight with Elle" she said, "she'll be ok Olive just walk her when you get home. Love you"
"Ok. Love you" she said and I shoved my phone back into my pocket.
I sighed and looked back up at Nick. He smiled and I smiled back.

The walk wasn't long, only about ten minutes so we arrived in time. We were sat at a table next to a large window and I shrugged off my coat.
It was strange being out with Nick. I guess we were friends but this was weird. I cleared my throat and looked at him after we had ordered.
"So. Your love life is down the drain" I said and Nick rolled his eyes at me.
"Look I'm paying so can you not be an asshole" he said and I laughed a little.
"Someone's touchy about being stood up" I said.
"Olive"
"Ok ok I'm sorry. Thank you for inviting me and I'm genuinely sorry about your date" I said and he smiled a little.
"It's ok. I'll talk to her tomorrow about it" he shrugged.
"That's ok then."
"Olive can I tell you something. Seriously" Nick said and I nodded. "I'm worried about you being lonely" he said and I sighed.
"Nick I've learned to be lonely. I enjoy my own company" I shrugged.
I gasped lightly as I felt his hand slide on top of mine.
"Olive you can't be on your own forever you need someone" he said and I shrugged.
"I'm fine"

We didn't say much more over dinner.
"Thanks for that" I breathed and he smiled down at me.
"Not a problem. I'll see you at work" he smiled and held out his arms. I furrowed my eyebrows and he rolled his eyes. "It's a hug it won't kill you" he said and pulled me into his arms. I hugged him back and took in his scent. It was nice.
"Bye" I sighed and he began to walk in the opposite direction from me.

As I started walking Gerty my mind was all in a muddle. I got to the park and I couldn't stop thinking about going out with Nick. I enjoyed it and I wondered if it was what a date was like. But there was a voice in my head that knew I shouldn't give it a second thought. I couldn't give it a second thought as I came across the same man I had seen yesterday. I furrowed my eyebrows and immediately decided that today I would go over.
I sat down beside him and glanced quickly at him. He was in running gear but still looked miserable.
I cleared my throat.
"Are you alright?" I asked and he didn't even look up at me.
"Being alone sucks" he said and I smiled.
"I like being alone" I sighed.
"No one likes being alone" he scoffed.
"I do. You learn to be lonely after a while" I shrugged and it was then that he looked up at me and I was immediately drawn to his dazzling green eyes.
"You've always been alone?"
"Always"
"You ever been in love?" He asked and I scoffed
"Love doesn't exist"