~Chapter 3~

Olive Gail

"So Olive how are we doing  today?" Melanie asked as we sat in a cafe.
"I'm fine" I replied and Melanie nodded.
"What have you done today?"
"I came straight from work" I replied and took a sip of my bitty hot chocolate.
She nodded and sipped on her latte.
"How is work?" She asked. I got bored of all these mandatory questions. It was the same nearly every session.
"Work is fine. I don't always see eye to eye with Nick but we're fine" I shrugged.
"Ah yes. The whole constant debate about love" she said with a smile.

It was all people ever asked me about when they learned my opinions. They asked why and how and when and all of those questions that I couldn't answer. It was just how I felt. Most likely because I've never been in love and have always been so lonely.
Mum always said I would grow out of it, that I would meet a man that would sweep me off my feet and make my heart soar. Make my heart sore more like. I figured by now it should be my conversation started with anyone I met so that the questions would be over and done with.
'Hello my name is Olive Gail and I do not believe in love or relationships because all it does is break your heart and disappoint you'
Im sure that would get people intrigued.
Besides, I didn't want some man to come and change my opinions. I liked my opinions and didn't want anyone to try and change that.

"Nick offered to kiss me today, trying to make me see that there was so much that I would miss out on if I never got into a relationship" I told Melanie and she smiled sympathetically.
"Oh Olive. I'm afraid he's right. You're going to miss out on so many feelings if you don't allow yourself to love and be loved in return"
"That's from 'Moulin Rouge', that quote." I said and she nodded.
"Did you like the film? That's all about love"
"It proves my point perfectly. They're in love, it screws everything up then she dies and it breaks him. Yeah wow, love is great" I said and rolled my eyes.
"Have you been taking your pills Olive?" She asked and I snorted.
Bloody pills.
"Yes I've been taking them. But even they can't change my opinion on love they're not that good" I giggled and Melanie smiled.
"Have you ever thought about trying to date someone? What about Nick? You like him" Melanie said and I laughed.
"Nick would never date me"
"You said he wanted to kiss you"
"Yes out of sympathy because I've never been kissed. That's hardly wanting to kiss me" I explained and Melanie shrugged.
"You never know. He might actually want to and may just be covering up his feelings for you" she said but I shook my head very quickly.
"No. No not at all."
"Then why don't you let him show you the ropes?"
"That would be unrealistic"

Melanie let out a grunt and I felt pride in myself that I had managed to piss her off to the point that all she could do was make a noise.
I did say no one would change my mind.
"You're very frustrating sometimes Miss Gail" Melanie sighed.
"Thank you. I take pride in it" I said and both of us pushed back our chairs.
"I'll see you later Olive" she sighed as we both walked out of the cafe.
"Bye"
"Go fall in love!" She yelled as I walked away.
"Never!" I yelled back and began the walk home.

I didn't bother taking off my shoes or yellow rain coat. I just picked up my little two year old French bulldog Gerty, slipped on her lead and left the house again.
This was routine for me.
I always walked Gerty around Hyde Park as close to five as I could.
She was my little for legged best friend. I couldn't live without my little Gerty Gail. Mum bought her for me thinking she would help cheer me up and she certainly did just that.

Today's walk was different. Usually I would just walk round the park and back home. I walked round the park, but on my way round I noticed a boy, well man. He looked about twenty with deep brown hair and a very colourful fashion sense. Yet he looked sad, almost on the verge of tears. I made a mental note of the boy before frowning and walking away.
I cursed myself as I walked away. I should have made sure he was ok. Everyone needs checking up on now and again.