Chapter Ten.

D E V I N

"We don't know where we're going, you know that right?"

Ryker repeated to me for the fifth time today. My feet no doubt were covered in blisters, bruises running all along my arms and legs. I don't think I've ever walked this much in my life. I wiped sweat that was dripping from my forehead as we finally reached the road. There were no signs of any cars. There wasn't any sign of anything, actually. I decided to head in the direction the moths in the night were flying to. Ryker followed me, letting out a groan from behind me. I couldn't help but keep my guard up as I listened to his breathing. Anything could set him off at this point, I wasn't prepared to handle it at this very moment. My only focus was my sanity, and somehow tracking down Graizen. For all I know, they could all be dead right now. My brain doesn't even register that as an option. If I let myself think about it too much, I know I'll break into irreparable pieces.

"Are you okay?" Ryker's voice echoed behind me.

"I'm fine."

I was thankful he couldn't see my eyes. Thankful that he couldn't see the tears welling up in them. That he couldn't see the pain in my face as the words escaped my mouth. I wasn't allowed to lose it right now. I'm not the one who lost their link, and their children. I don't get to break down. I can't.

"Can you talk to me, please?" Ryker ran up beside me. "I-I'm having trouble holding it together."

I stopped in place. Ryker's eyes were filled with tears, just as mine were. I took a deep breath, trying to stop myself from falling apart. One of us has to be strong for the both of us. One of us has to focus on getting to the city. Once we're there, there has to be someone who knows about Inferno. We just have to find someone.

"I'm sorry, Ryker, I'm sorry." I put my hand onto his shoulder. "Do you want to talk to me about anything specific?"

I made sure to be careful with my words. I didn't want to use any specific words or trigger him in anyway. I was going to let him bring up the topic of conversation. I wasn't going to risk saying the wrong thing.

"I feel like I should be the one protecting you right now. But it's the opposite."

"Why?" I furrowed my brows. "Because you're the brother? We can protect each other."

"I'm also 27, and you're 18." He stated. "I never had to go through any of this at your age."

I let my thoughts wander as I repeated our ages. I never knew his exact age, I always felt we were at the same maturity level. I've never felt like I was my own age. The day I found my mother's dead body aged me more than I would ever know.

"You really think in the world we live in that our ages matter?" I let myself show a hint of a smile. "Ryker, you've been through a lot. It's okay to have your little sister look out for you for once."

"You're right." Ryker let out a small laugh. "Your mental age is like, 700."

I laughed back lightly, punching him in the shoulder. Both of our smiles faded quickly as we continued walking along side the road. There was a light in the distance, that only seemed to be a couple miles away. We can make it. I couldn't let go of the sliver of hope I had in me that I would see Graizen again. I wanted nothing more in the world than to see those silver orbs staring into mine. I can't imagine the pain Ryker must feel in his chest in this moment. It has to be unbearable. I'm losing my mind simply by being away from Graizen. The only thing keeping me going right now is the thought of holding him in my arms again. The second I see him again, I want to hold him for as long as I can. I don't ever want to take a single moment for granted.