Chapter Seven.

G R A I Z E N

"You can't be serious."

I looked around the cabin, only four figures in front of me. Jax, Rayner, Aster and Micah were gathered at the table around me. Ryker was in chains, lying on the floor unconscious. Thia was sound asleep in one of the bedrooms. I didn't have the heart to wake her and stress her with this argument. We had been discussing what happens next all night, none of us coming to an agreement. Although, since I'm Rex, it shouldn't even be a discussion. We rebuild, our ancestors built Donum from nothing. Simple as that. Although these idiots can't seem to agree with me.

Of course.

"Graizen, we're all that's left. After last night, everyone fled. It's only us now. There is no Donum to rebuild. Don't you get that?"

Jax explained this to me once again. I shook my head, pounding my fists against the wood of the table. I was losing my patience with every second. No, there was no way we were all that's left of Donum. There was no way in hell what was left of my city decided to retire early to the human world.

"There is always something to build from. Even when we have nothing."

The room fell silent once again. Jax and I were the only ones contributing to the conversation, the other three were smart enough not to cut in. I could feel the unresolved tension between Jax and I. It was driving me mad as I rubbed either side of my head. Thinking of him obsessing over Thia, keeping her as his little porcelain doll, was enough to make me sick. If I stared at him any longer, I'd no doubt find my hands around his neck. I turned my attention toward Micah. Out of anyone, she had to have reason.

"Micah." I quickly said. "What do you think we should do?"

Micah's eyes remained blank as she processed my question. I could tell she wasn't expecting me to ask her advice on this, I never ask anyone for advice.

"I think we should light Demerick's city on fire, that's what we should do."

A grin spread across my face. Now we're talking.

"No!" Jax yelled out as he stood up from his chair. "That will start a war we aren't prepared for! His city, which I'm assuming is now led by Freya, is too powerful for us. They were too powerful before the attack, even with their leader dead."

I stood up, my eyes meeting his.

"Then, enlighten me." My voice was dripping with sarcasm. "Tell me this great plan of yours."

Jax took a pause as he looked at all of us. He was hesitating with what he was about to say, we all knew it. I was going to shoot down any idea he had.

"We find an ally." He spoke the words slowly. "Join another city, one even bigger than Freya's. One that is ruthless, and powerful. One that we will call our new home. One that will go to war with us."

To say I was surprised by his statement would be a joke. That was the last thing I ever expected my brother to say. He never has any good ideas. Ever. I still question why he's in the role of the Principis. Moments like these remind me why he is that role. I closed my eyes as I ran through his proposal.

"For once, I can't say I disagree with you."

"Good." Jax quickly responded to me. "Because I contacted the city of Inferno hours ago and gave them our location."

The entire room's atmosphere changed. I stood up from my chair, as I leaned my hands against the table. My eyes were burning into Jax's, who didn't seem phased at all. He doesn't realize the danger he just put all of us in. If we weren't all dead before, we certainly are now. I closed my eyes as the memories from my childhood flashed before me. Inferno is the largest city of gifted ones. Their exact location is unknown, they're impossible to track. I remember being afraid simply by hearing their name in a conversation. They are known for not using their powers for good, and preying on humans. They believe humans are simply toys, a source of entertainment for them. If they found out Thia was a power source, they'd drain every last drop of blood from her body. Micah was the first to speak.

"We need to leave. Now."

Jax pulled at her arm as she stood up, stopping her in place. I can't explain how tempted I was to snap his neck with a simple movement of my hands. I still question how I haven't killed him out of spite, honestly.

"No!" Jax cried out. "They're going to help us. I know it."

I shook my head, trying to contain my anger. Jax has lost it once again. Although, he never has been sane. He going to be the cause for all of our deaths. I need to get Thia. I need to grab my girl and run away from all of this. If giving up this life is what it takes to make her safe, I'll do it in a heartbeat.

"Rayner, grab Ryker. We're leaving."

As I spoke those words, a loud crack echoed through the room. I turned my head to see Jax lying on the ground, his neck snapped. Everyone looked around, clueless to how the hell that just happened. I sure was thinking of doing that, but it wasn't me. I certainly wish it were. Aster ran up to him, worry clouding her eyes as she scanned the cabin. My eyes ran along the walls, as the lights around us cut out. Only one word fell from my lips.

"Inferno."

As I said this, the door to the cabin flew off it's hinges and across the room. I ran to the room Thia was in as fast as my body could get me there. The room was empty. There was no trace of her anywhere. I sprinted back out to where everyone else was, adrenaline pumping through my veins. I ran my hands through my hair as my eyes scanned everything they could in the darkness surrounding us. She's gone.

"Thia!"

My eyes landed on chains on the floor, chains that used to hold Ryker's body. Wind began to surround the cabin, as if we were in the middle of a tornado. Wood and chairs were flying everywhere around us. I held onto the wall beside me as I screamed into the air.

"Ryker is gone!"

Rayner's neck snapped without any warning as his body fell to the ground. Jax's body had already disappeared from the cabin floors. They were fast. Too fast, and too strong for the small number of us in this room. We aren't going to win against them. None of us are going to make it out of this alive. The only thing I can hope for now is that Thia made it out alive. That was my last thought as my neck violently cracked, sending my body to the floor.