Chapter Twenty-One.

D E V I N 

    "Okay, this one."

Aphelia stepped out in a blood red ballgown. It had a train that was as long as her. She spun around to face me, the dress flowing like water to the floor. My eyes widened as I took in the dress. Aster squealed as she stared at Aphelia with the same look I had. Micah couldn't help but smile as we all stared at her in awe.

It was breathtaking.

"I told Ryker he wouldn't catch me dead in a white dress."

"I think it's stunning, Aphelia."

"It's perfect for you." Aster excitedly jumped as she said this.

"It's okay." Micah added. Aster slapped her shoulder as Micah rolled her eyes.

"I'm playing with you, Aphelia. I like it." Micah finally said.

She nodded with pride as she walked over to me. I gave her a questioning look as she sat in the seat next to me.

"I know we haven't known eachother long, but I was wondering if you'd be my maid of honor?"

My eyes widened as I threw my arms around her. "Of course!" I almost yelled as I practically squeezed the life out of her. I could feel her laugh as I hugged her even tighter. I felt guilty, but Aster and Micah didn't seem to mind as they walked around the store.

"We will be sisters, after all."

She gave me a serious look as I pulled away.

"Are you okay?"

I raised my eyebrows at her.

"What do you mean?"

"You've practically been hiding in your room all week, Devin."

I looked at the floor as she said this. I wasn't used to sharing my feelings with anyone. Jax was my only real friend back home, and I even closed him off.

"It's just a lot. It's like I've lost someone that I never even had to begin with. I know I never knew Freya, but I feel like a part of me is gone."

"I know exactly what you mean, actually."

"You do?" I questioned. She nodded as she held her hand in mine.

"I had a twin, too." Aphelia took a deep breath. I gently squeezed her hand, allowing her to continue. "She died when we were born. I never knew her, never got the chance to. I still feel as if a part of me died with her."

A tear fell from her eyes, as she quickly wiped it away. I leaned my head against her shoulder. "Thank you for sharing that with me. You didn't have to."

"I wanted to." Aphelia reassured me. "I want us to be family."

Family. I repeated to myself in my head. I had lost the meaning in that word this past year. Aphelia jumped as her phone went off. I heard yelling through the phone as she paced around the store.

"We'll be right there."

"Aphelia? What's happening?"

She rushed back into the changing room as I stared at her with clueless eyes. Aster and Micah had the same questioning looks on their faces as we all surrounded the area.

"We have to go. Now."

Aphelia came out of the dressing room fully clothed as she grabbed my hand and led me out the store. Aster and Micah followed quickly behind us. We were practically running as we made our way to the streets. The cold wind hit me as I pulled my jacket tighter against my chest.

"What's wrong?"

"Someone was murdered."