Chapter Thirty-Two.

D E V I N

"Are you sure you want to do this?"

I nodded.

I couldn't put this off forever. If he was going to get better, he shouldn't be isolated. I'm the one who triggered his breakdown. I should be the one to fix it. I took a deep breath as Ryker typed in a code to the doors. My whole body was burning with nervousness with every step I took.

"I'll be here the whole time." Ryker reminded me. I nodded again to him. I was unable to form words as my eyes landed on him. He looked even worse. He was skinny, and pale. His hair looked unkempt, and dead. I kept a good distance as I took in his appearance. My whole stomach felt as if it had just dropped to my feet. This was not my Jax. He is merely a ghost of what he used to be. I kept my emotions bottled up inside as I stood my ground.

"Jax."

I called out his name. In an instant, his eyes snapped open as if he were brought back to life. He gasped as he looked around the room. His eyes fell on me. Jax did the last thing I expected him to do. He opened his mouth, slouched his shoulders inward, and cried. He went into a full out sob. My mouth parted in shock as I watched him unfold in front of me. Jax couldn't contain himself as his crying turned into pleading. He started screaming as he thrashed around in his restraints. My eyes followed his every move. I had to do something. I can't just sit here and watch him. What good will that do? Without thinking, I sat at the edge of his bed.

"Devin!" Ryker yelled as he pulled my shoulders back. "What are you doing?"

"Ryker, please," I begged. "Let me help him."

Ryker slowly let my shoulders go. I could feel his hesitation as I took Jax's hand. His sobbing stopped as his eyes fell on me. I gripped his hand as hard as I could, my eyes not leaving his.

"Jax, it's me." I whispered to him. He stopped fighting as his midnight blue eyes were captured by mine. "It's Devin."

"Devin." He repeated. His voice was faded, and weak. I could see in his eyes he was having an inner battle with himself as he squeezed the life out of my hand.

"Devin!" He repeated, this time more firmly. I nodded as I placed my other hand onto his.

"Devin, I'm not crazy." Jax pleaded as he pulled at my arm.

My heart broke as I stare at him. I shook my head. "I know, Jax. I know. We're going to help you and get you back to-"

"No."

Jax pulled at my arm. Pain shot up it, but I didn't let it show on my face. If Ryker knew he was hurting me, he would instantly pull me out of here. I wasn't going to let that happen.

"Devin, I'm not controlling my own body." Jax spat out. His face seemed contorted, almost as if he were fighting himself. I stared at him in shock.

"Jax, what do you mean?"

I moved closer to him. He was speaking so quietly. I could barely hear him.

"It's him, Devin. H-He keeps getting in my head. He's controlling everything I do, you have to h-help me."

Jax was pleading with me as he pulled at my arm. I couldn't help but wince as I felt blood form from his fingertips digging into my skin. Ryker instantly noticed this. He didn't hesitate for a second to pull me away from Jax. He yanked my arm, pulling me out of the room. He closed the door behind us, making sure it locked.

"We have to help him, Ryker! Why did you take me away?" I yelled at him. I yanked my arm away, staring at the closed door in front of me.

"Jax doesn't know what he's saying, Devin. The evil in him is trying to get into your head. That wasn't Jax, Devin. Trust me."