Chapter Forty One.

~*~

       D E V I N 

"Come with me. Now."

I was heading back up to my room as Aphelia grabbed my arm, yanking it to her. I didn't have time to answer as she began pulling me through the streets of the city. She was frantic, I could tell by her demeanor.

"Is everything okay?"

"No. Everything is not okay." Aphelia barked out at me as we reached the elevators. My heart began beating out of my chest as paranoia was pounding at my brain.

"What's happening? Where are we going?"

"The forest. I can't tell you here."

The doors to the elevator finally opened, as the forest greeted us. My thoughts instantly went to Graizen, the only times I was here was with him. The memories we shared here seemed lifetimes away, after our last encounter. I shook off the hurt that was hitting my bones as Aphelia led me to the water. She splashed some of it in her face before sitting against the stones, placing her feet into the water. I did the same, sitting next to her. Aphelia's eyes landed on me, as her bottom lip trembled. She slumped over, sobbing into my arms. I instantly pulled her into my arms, rubbing her back.

"What is it? Please, talk to me." Concern was running through me as she continued to cry into my chest. She finally pulled away, wiping her damp eyes.

"I'm, I'm pregnant."

My eyes widened as my lips curved into a grin. I gasped, pulling Aphelia into my arms once again. She let out another cry as confusion swept over me.

"This is good news, right? Have you told Ryker?"

"No." She wiped her eyes once again. "I haven't told him. I just, I-I don't want to lose this baby. Too many people die in our world, I can't, I can't bring a baby in this world. I'm not ready, Devin, I-"

"Hey," I cut her off, placing my arms along her shoulders. "Nobody is ever truly ready, it's a part of life. There are so many things we can't control, or plan. This is one of them. But, there are things we know. And I know that you and Ryker are going to be the best parents to that little baby. You two are going to protect it with your life, and you're going to love that baby more than anything in the entire world."

Aphelia nodded as she coughed out a few more tears. "You really think I can do this?"

"I know you can do this, Aphelia." I wiped her face. "And we'll all be with you through the entire journey."

She pulled me into another hug, lightly crying into my arms. I let a few tears slip out too as I pulled away from her.

"Thank you, Devin. I needed that reassurance before telling-"

Her words were harshly cut off as she was violently dragged into the water from her foot. Aphelia cried out, as I frantically reached for her arms. She slipped away, as her whole body submerged into the water.

"Aphelia!" I screamed out, before diving into the water. The coldness of it surrounded me, sending shivers up and down my body. I opened my eyes, searching along the bottom for Aphelia. I froze as I saw a pair of glowing eyes staring at me, sending a haunting feeling through me. The eyes were travelling to me, as I thrashed away from it as quickly as I could under the water. My body began to tire out, as I reached the surface to get some air. My breathing was ragged, and loud in my ears as I dived back in. The eyes were nowhere to be seen as I searched all around me. I almost screamed as my eyes landed on platinum blonde hair floating through the water. I immediately went to her, pulling her into my arms. She was unconscious, as I swam up to the surface with all the strength I had in me. My legs felt numb as we made it up. I threw her body onto the soft ground, her lips a sickly purple. My trembling hands reached up to her face, as I checked for her breathing.