Chapter Thirteen.

D E V I N

    "Devin! Wake up!"

    I gasped as a body landed next to me on my bed. My eyes slowly opened as I took in my surroundings. I'm not in my own bed. I'm not in my room. I recognized the body as Aphelia's as everything came back to me. I wiped my eyes, feeling as if I were still asleep. Memories of my little encounter with Graizen flooded through me. He was definitely drunk last night. I had never seen him so emotional like that. This guy has more sides than I ever thought possible. He's like my own rubix cube, and I'm going to solve it. No matter how long it takes me.

    "You're not a morning person, are you?"

    Aphelia laughed as she tore the blankets off me. I clawed at them, trying to pull them as close to me as I could. Aphelia only yanked them off with ease. I frowned as I stared at the empty bed in front of me. I looked around the corner, surprised to see that she was the only one in the room. Aster and Micah tend to follow her wherever she goes.

    "I just want to sleep. Please." I rolled over, facing away from her. Yesterday was the most insane day of my life, I can't bear what today could possibly hold. I was lying through my teeth. I didn't want to sleep. I didn't want to sleep at all. I wanted to escape this world and forget this ever happened.

    But, that isn't going to happen. Is it?

    Aphelia wasn't going to quit. I felt her arm clasp around mine as she yanked me off the bed and onto the floor. I let out a groan as I hit the floor. She's a lot stronger than one would assume. I rubbed my shoulder, sitting up in front of her. She had a cheerful smile on her face, as if she could take on anything. I simply glowered at her.

    "Come on, Devin! Get up! We're going to be late for class."

    "Class?" I shot up from the ground completely as she said this. My lets ached as I stood on both of them. Even my body was drained from the events of the last 24 hours. "We have to go to class?"

    "Only training and self-defense classes. You need to have training, so you can defend yourself."

    Aphelia's face was serious as she said this. My body grew with nervousness at the thought of classes here. I don't fit in with anyone here at all, I'm not gifted like them. High school was a nightmare in itself, I wasn't ready to face that again. Especially when I'm more than just an oddball here.

    "Who do I need to protect myself from? Can't all of you just protect me? You all have all these powers and stuff." I furrowed my eyebrows together. I'm not even sure what to call their gifts. In my eyes, there isn't a limit to what they can do.

    "What if you're alone? What it none of us are here?"

     Any hint of humor in her face was long gone at this point. I looked away from her, suddenly feeling overwhelmed. Everyone here seems to be prepared for some disaster to strike. I had a feeling there was a much greater evil out there. What exactly are they hiding from? Why am I so important to them? There are so many things I still don't know. They must be protecting me for a reason. A reason I will find out. No matter what.

    "Why am I here?" I quietly said. Aphelia let out a sigh as she gently placed a hand on my shoulder. I could see the sympathy in her eyes as she stared at me. I still haven't decided if I trusted her or not. Flashes of her breaking that man's neck came back to me as I stared at her innocent smile. Not so long ago, those eyes were filled with pride as she stood over his lifeless body. I hesitantly stared into her, trying to read through her platinum blonde hair and calming smile.