Chapter Four.

D E V I N

            The tossing and turning never stopped as I stared at the ceiling above me. The only time I missed the outside world was when I thought of stars. I could stare at them for hours on end and let my thoughts wander. Tonight, my thoughts were only on one person. Accepting the fact that sleep would not grace me with its presence, I found myself walking through the streets of the city. It was laughable, how much the dimming of the lights mirrored the night sky. If I didn't know any better, I'd feel as if I were walking outside. Outside. The word was almost foreign to me now. It had been months since I've felt the sun on my skin, the wind in my hair. I'm not sure I ever would again, but I think I'm okay with that. This is my home, whether or not I figure things out with Graizen. Its quite ironic, how we were made for each other. It seems like quite the opposite at times, almost like we couldn't be more wrong for each other. I let out an exhausted breath as I laid onto a patch of fake grass. I closed my eyes, letting the lights shine onto my skin.

            Boom.

            I jumped, as bright flames surrounded me. Fire was suddenly surrounding every inch of me, swallowing me whole. I screamed out in pain, trying to shoot water into the air with my hands. My powers were failing on me once again as the flames ran across my skin. I screamed in pure desperation as I could smell my own burning flesh in the air. The pain was excruciating, until I felt water against my wounds. I cried out in relief as the coldness of the water hit my skin, the pain disappearing into the air. They healed almost instantly, as midnight blue eyes came into my view.

            "Jax! What's happening?"

            Jax didn't answer me as an explosion erupted inches from us, sending our bodies flying into the air. We both collided into the side of a building, as our bodies met the harsh ground. I coughed out blood as all the breath in my body was suddenly taken away from me. Jax lifted up my arms, as I regained my balance. Fire spread all around us as Jax shot water into the air, attempting to stop it. The fire was too fast for him as he looked at me with terror filled in his blue orbs.

            "We're under attack."

            His confirmation sent chills through my body as I stared at the streets of Donum. Fire was present in almost every building at this point, spreading right in front of my eyes. I shook my head in disbelief as Jax attempted to put the fire out with his hands. His body was growing weaker by the second as water shot out from his hands. I ran to him, pulling his arms down to his sides.

            "Jax, the fire is spreading too quickly. We have to evacuate everyone. Now."

            Jax nodded, exhaustion taking over his features. I guided bodies to the elevators, sending groups up as much as the doors could hold. The numbers of the people escaping were alarmingly small, I barely counted any as they ran past me. I tried to ignore the paranoia that flowed through me as my eyes searched for Graizen. He wasn't in any of the crowds of people, or on the streets. He'll be okay. We're all going to be okay.

            "Devin!"

            I relaxed as Micah and Aster were among the bodies escaping. I assessed both of them, no injuries covering them. Micah looked genuinely thankful as she grabbed onto my arm and pulled me to her chest.

            "The two of you head above ground, get a head count of everyone up there."

            They both nodded to me as I sent them into the elevators. My eyes continued to search the crowds, which seemed to be lessening by the second. Buildings were burnt to the ground, buildings that our people lived in. Now they were dying in front of my eyes, their bodies engulfed in fire. I never felt so useless as tears ran down my face. I spotted a body trapped under debris, my legs running to it as fast as I could. My eyes widened as I spotted Rayner trapped underneath a beam.