Chapter Forty-Nine.

D E V I N

"You told me you would tell me."

"Did I? I don't remember?"

I slapped the back of Rayner's head. His eyes went wide as he rubbed his head, pouting at me.

"Rayner, I need to know how to kill someone who is gifted. How long were you guys expecting to hide this from me?"

Rayner sighed as he looked at our surroundings. We were currently in the dining hall, at our usual table. Everyone seemed to be in their own little word, not listening in to our conversation.

"Okay, okay, fine."

I leaned closer to him.

"You know how Locke stabbed Graizen in the heart with a knife?"

I closed my eyes at the memory. My heart skipped a beat as Graizen's blood pouring everywhere flashed in my head. I shuddered as I could practically feel the red liquid seeping onto my hands.

"Well, he was one step away from killing him. You have to pierce into our hearts, that's almost enough to kill us. Then, when you're holding the weapon in our heart, you light it on fire with your hands, burning the weapon inside of it."

I shivered at the thought. I had never even seen any of them create fire in their hands. I briefly remember Graizen explaining how their powers are connected to the elements. I never took that literally.

"You can create fire? In your hands?"

"I can't. I'm not strong enough. Only a handful of people can."

"Can Graizen?"

Rayner nodded. "So can Ryker. He's the one who killed our father."

I was never going to get used to the idea that my father was this psychotic man who killed people for his own joy. Rayner and Ryker were two of the most genuine guys I knew. I can't imagine what it must've been like, being raised by a beast.

"What was he like?"

The words escaped my mouth before I could stop them. Rayner looked down at his arms, before rolling up his sleeves. Small burn marks were scattered across his skin. He didn't say anything as he rolled them back down. I moved closer to him, placing a hand onto his shoulder.

"Rayner, I-"

"You don't have to say anything." He interrupted me. "We all have a dark past."

He's right. We are born into this world as miracles of life. As we grow up, our view of the world slowly changes. We realize that everything isn't always sunshine and rainbows. People die around us, in the most tragic ways. The universe isn't a heaven for all of us to share. We learn all of this, adding to the constant baggage we will carry with us until our last day. That baggage shapes us into who we are. I wouldn't take away any of my suffering. I would relive every second of it as long as I still came out as me on the other side.

"What are we going to do about Locke?"

Rayner's voice interrupted my thoughts. I flinched as my mind processed his question.

"I have no clue. How powerful is he, exactly?"

"At this point, there's no limit. If he was injecting your blood directly into his system, his powers could be capable of anything. He could probably even get into our heads if he wanted to."