Chapter Thirty-One.

D E V I N 

      I gasped as I stared at myself in the mirror. My makeup was the same as usual, light and natural, which I was thankful for. I didn't want them to make me look like a different person. My hair was completely down, and in loose curls falling down my back. The thing that I couldn't get over was the way this dress fit me. It was all black, floor length, with two slits going up the sides. The dress was simple, yet elegant. It hugged my body like a glove, its sleeves resting off of my shoulders.

"I don't like it. Can we pick a different one?" I blurted out.

"No!" Aphelia said from beside me. Aster and Micah had already joined the party outside. I could hear calm music playing and water flowing from outside of the house. My nerves were higher than ever as I looked away from the mirror. I hated the feeling I got as my eyes stared back at me. I tried to think back on a time in my life when I dressed up for something like this. Nothing came up as my eyes remained on the floor. I had missed out on the normal high school life my peers had, still have actually. They are living an entirely different life than the one I'm currently leading. Their biggest worry is prom, or what college to go to. My biggest worry at the moment is living until the end of the month.

"You look amazing, now let's go. We're already late."

I couldn't protest anymore as Aphelia dragged me out of the room. She was wearing a dress almost identical to mine, except in royal blue. It was breathtaking on her, but anything she wears is. Ryker met us at the end of the hallway as his eyes widened. He was wearing a black suit with a grey dress shirt underneath.

"God." He blurted out as he kissed Aphelia on the cheek. "I'm going to be breaking some necks tonight."

Aphelia and I both laughed as we made our way down the stairs. Rayner met us at the bottom of the stairs, who had the same reaction Ryker had as he saw us. I rolled my eyes as I noticed he was wearing the same suit and dress shirt as Rayner. These two are quite the pair, I swear. My chest tightened as we made our way to the middle of the city. Flames were floating around all of us, above our heads. My lips parted in amazement as I noticed couples dancing in bubble of water around us. They were floating in the air, just like I did in class with Locke. I took another deep breath as I replayed the awkwardness of the scene in my head. Micah and Aster were dancing around in their bubble of water just above where we were standing. My heart warmed as I watched the two of them. I felt a pang of pain in me as I realized I would never have a love as great as theirs. The way they stare at each other as if they were the only two in the room; that is something my heart will never know.

"Black," Graizen's lips were practically on my neck, almost causing me to fall onto the floor in front of me. "It's my favorite color."

"Shame." I turned around to face him as I said this. I took a deep breath as my lips almost came in contact with his. Graizen didn't move an inch, his eyes remaining on my figure. "If I would've known that, I would've chosen white."

"There you go with those childish comments, Thia."

I gasped as he grabbed my waist, water surrounding us. I was now suspended in the air, floating on what felt like nothing. I took a shaky breath as I steadied myself, clinging to Graizen. We were far above the rest of the party, causing uncomfortable chills to run up my back.

"Afraid of heights? In that case I'll go a little higher."

"No!" I pulled at Graizen's shirt. "I'm fine with the level we're at now."

The air between us became tense as I refused to let go of him. He only stared down at me with a sly look across his face. I took this moment to gaze at his lips and remember the way they felt against mine. A chill ran through my entire body as the memories flashed behind my eyes. My legs almost buckled at the thought of kissing him once more.

"Are we going to talk about that kiss? Or will you refuse to speak to me again?"

"I didn't refuse." A low rumble escaped from his chest. "I simply had more important things to tend to."

"If you're going to avoid the subject again, I'd like you to put me down." My voice was harsh and firm as his silver eyes looked away from me. I finally let my arms relax, letting them fall to my sides. Graizen had an unknown look on his face as he ran his fingers nervously through his hair. How he managed to use his hands and keep us suspended in the air, I will never know.

"You know the feeling when you're at the top of a roller coaster?" He blurted out as his eyes found me again.

"I hate roller coasters."

Graizen shot me a glare.

"You aren't making this easy, Thia."

His words were shaky, and nervous. It was unlike his usual smooth, yet cocky, tone. Being in this bubble with him was bringing out the vulnerability in him. I was going to stay here as long as I could. As long as he'd let me.

"Yes, I remember that feeling."

I'm surprised he knows what that feeling is like. He's the one who has lived underground all his life.

"It's that feeling in your stomach. You know you're about to fall, fall damn hard, and you're holding your breath, your heart pounding in your ears."

I nodded.

"Well, that's the feeling you give me."

I didn't utter a word. I wanted to hear every single one of his thoughts, everything running through his mind at this very moment. The feeling he was explaining, that's the exact way I've felt since the day I met him.

"Then, I kissed you." His lips were inches from mine, as I begged him with my eyes to close the space between us. My body was dying to melt into his and escape into the feelings he gave me.

"I kissed you, and I felt like I was falling off a building at full speed. I felt like I was sleeping through my entire life and I woke up when your lips touched mine. I felt like I was on fire but frozen all at once. I-I felt like-"

I leaned in to kiss him but was harshly stopped as the water around us came crashing down. Graizen held me as we fell, as my body landed on top of his. He cushioned my fall, as a silence fell around us. We were no doubt the center of attention as Graizen jumped up from the ground. He ran to the main house in the blink of an eye as I pushed myself up from the ground. I wanted to run after him and press my lips to his, but something stopped me. Today, he opened up to me more than he ever has. I could tell how hard that was for him, I could see the pain in his eyes. I could hear the sincerity in his voice, the way he was wording every thought that was running through his head. I knew it was sincere, because they were the exact thoughts going through my mind at this moment. He opened up to me today, and he would tomorrow.

I just have to be patient, and willing.

And I am.

Every part of my body is slowly falling into the mystery that is Graizen Mavericks.