Chapter Six.

D E V I N

    I grabbed the bags in my hand, thanking the lady before taking my receipt and making my way back to my car. The winter air made its path into my jacket, as I pulled it even tighter to myself. I shivered. Droplets of snow found their way onto my head and the rest of my body. I welcomed them as I stared up at the night sky. I appreciated the compelling silence that filled the air as I watched the snowflakes fall. I finally reached my car, letting out a sigh of relief as I threw the groceries into the passenger's seat. I was only seconds away from the warmth that my body was currently craving. I started the car, as the lights lit up the dark parking lot. My eyes focused in on two shadows in the distance, in a dark alleyway. The two figures seemed to be struggling, as they moved fast, back and forth. I turned on my high beams to get a better look. I let out a strangled scream as I instantly recognized one of the figures. His trembling body appeared weak. It was no match for the man he was up against. I yanked my keys out of my car, sprinting to the two fighting shadows.

"Mason!" My throat screamed out before my mind processed what was happening. Their heads turned towards me. Mason's eyes went as wide as silver dollars as they landed on me. The man was holding Mason up by the collar, his fist raised right at his face. I let out a shriek as I took a steady step towards them.

"Devin, leave."

Mason's voice came out shaky as he said this. Blood was prominent in between his teeth and falling from his lips as I took in his appearance. My heart was beating out of my chest as I assessed the situation. My initial reaction was to reach for my phone and call for help. Hesitation ran through me as I looked down at my brother. He's been in enough trouble with the police these past two months. My mind didn't even want to imagine what made this man angry enough to attack my brother. If Mason keeps getting arrested, I'll be put into the foster system. I have to get him out of this myself.

"Let him go!" My voice roared. It held more confidence than I expected behind it. The man dragged Mason, as he stepped closer towards me. I didn't shrink back as he came inches away from me. A smirk appeared on his face. He reeked of alcohol, and who knows what else as I took all of him in. Dirt was all over his face, his clothes torn in all directions. Classy.

"What makes you think I'll listen to you?"

The man barked out, causing me to cower down. His breath was horrid, almost causing me to gag as it hit my face. Without thinking, I raised my hand and punched him right in the face. He was taken aback by this, as anger took over his face. Before I could blink, he threw me aside as if I were nothing. I lost my breath as I gasped for air, my eyes focused in on Mason.

"No!"

I screamed so loud my voice became hoarse. The man kicked Mason into the wall, as the world seemed to stop spinning. I felt around my pockets for my phone as Mason's screams filled my ears, blood pouring from his nose. I didn't care if Mason was guilty of anything at this point. I didn't care if I got put in a foster home. I just wanted him alive. I felt lost, not having control over any of this as Mason's eyes fell on me. He looked almost lifeless as he stared straight at me. My breathing suddenly stopped as I stared at the darkness in front of me. I closed my eyes, my whole body freezing up in terror as my Mother's eyes appeared in my head. I shook my head, wanting everything to disappear as the sound of Mason's beating suddenly stopped.

I started to breathe again, as I quickly opened my eyes. Mason's attacker was on the ground, unmoving as a tall man picked Mason up from the ground. The world began to turn again, all the sound around me came back as I realized he was going to be okay.

He's going to be okay.

I repeated the words in my head over and over again until they sounded foreign to me. The man turned and reached for me, as I flinched back, looking away from him. My fear came back in an instant as I cowered away from his intimidating figure.

"Devinthia." His deep voice breathed out, as I looked up to meet those unforgettable silver orbs. I couldn't believe my eyes as I stared up at him. It's him. The man who has invaded my thoughts ever since I first locked eyes with him. I couldn't believe it was him as I stared in awe, not moving a muscle.

"Take my hand, we have to go." He said, before grabbing onto me. I almost gasped, his touch causing a jolt of electricity to go up my arm. I held onto my arm with fear as I stared at him in shock. A wave of heat radiated through my arm from where our skin made contact. He noticed this but didn't say anything as he led us out of the alleyway. His black car was parked next to mine, the engine still running. He opened the door for me, as he put Mason gently in the back seat. I didn't say a word. I was still processing what just happened.

"I-I, I don't,"

"Don't try to talk," He said, harshly cutting me off.

"You're in shock. Just get in the car."

I was thrown off by his annoyed tone, as I hesitantly backed away from him. He raised an eyebrow at me, amusement clear in his eyes.

"I'm not getting in there with you. I-I want my brother back now." I shakily said, putting my arms around myself. The silver-eyed man only laughed as he crossed his arms, staring straight at me. I tried to ignore how attractive this man was. Even in the dark, his features were stunningly beautiful. So beautiful, they were distracting me from the situation I got myself into.

"You think you're in a state to drive? You can barely form words. Now please willingly get in the car so I can take you and Mason home. I don't feel like kidnapping you tonight."

My eyes widened as these words fell from his mouth. How does he know both of our names? I didn't attempt to get into his car. He rolled his eyes, a bored expression on his face before taking a step towards me. My heart pounded in my chest at the idea of his arms on me again. I quickly slid myself into the passenger seat, not daring to look in his direction. I heard him let out a laugh, before climbing into the car beside me. I turned around, my eyes landing on a passed-out Mason. I held my hand in his, letting out a sigh of relief knowing he was safe with me. Tears fell from my eyes at the thought of losing my only family as I turned back around to face the front of the car. Looking back on what just happened, I suddenly felt the need to cry. My bottom lip started to quiver as I looked out the window, away from the man beside me. I didn't dare to look into those captivating silver eyes.

"Oh, God, are you crying? Can you do that after I'm gone?"

His voice held the same annoyance as he sped down the road. I ignored him as I moved even closer to the window. I wanted to get as far away from him as possible. Any fantasy I had built up about this silver-eyed man was now destroyed. I still have no idea why I willingly got into this car with him. Even if he may have just saved my brother's life. Before I knew it, he was pulling up to my house. He turned off the car, going straight to Mason. He threw him over his shoulder with ease, as I followed him inside the door. He gently set Mason on the couch, before turning to leave. I eyed him curiously as he made his way back to his car, ready to take off.

"Hey, wait! How do you know our names?" I called out to him, causing him to swiftly turn around. His face remained flat as he stared back at me. God, those eyes. His whole physique was a piece of art.

"I used to know someone who you loved very much."

His voice was barely above a whisper. I raised my eyebrow at him, taking in his appearance once more. His eyes were staring deeply into mine. My breath froze in my throat as I stared back at him. His features looked as if they were carved to perfection. It was hard to not fall for his looks alone. I can imagine countless girls already have.

"What's your name?" I quietly asked, hoping I'd finally put a name to his beautifully mysterious face.

"Graizen." He said, before quickly getting into his car, and driving off. Graizen. I repeated to myself as I stared out into the night. I watched his car speed away, a weird feeling that this wasn't the last time I would see this mystery man with silver eyes.