Chapter Eight.

D E V I N

"Devinthia!"

Graizen yelled after me, as I pulled away from him. He quickly stormed after me, his hand wrapping around my arm. Fire and electricity engulfed me at his touch, but I quickly brushed it off. I yanked my arm away from him, as his silver eyes met mine.

"You don't know anything about my mother. You weren't the one who found her dead with a gun in her hands and a bullet in her head."

Graizen simply crossed his arms, a blank expression on his face. He could tell I wasn't done speaking yet.

"It's been the hardest year of my life. I've finally come to peace with it. She was hurting, she was mentally sick. Nobody could've saved her. Not even me."

I looked at the ground as I said this. His eyes didn't leave me, I could feel them burning into my skull.

"You know, you aren't a very good listener, Devinthia."

He smirked, as I tilted my head up towards him. I ignored his comment as I pushed on his chest, causing him to lightly stumble back. He had a smug look on his face. Humor was present in his eyes as I boiled with anger.

"Stop following me! I will not hesitate to call the police if I ever see you again."

He let out a laugh as I turned away from him, crossing my arms together. I could hear him chuckle behind me as his loud footsteps made his way to his car, quickly driving off. What does he find so amusing? He just claimed that my own mother was murdered.

He took me back to the worst time of my life, and he finds this funny?

My head was going to explode. I needed to calm down. I sat next to my mother's gravestone, leaning my head against the cold surface of it. My body erupted in small waves of sobs as I held my head in my hands. I thought I had finally healed from her death. It was the hardest thing I've ever had to go through, and I still go through it every day. There is so much she still hasn't seen me do. There are so many things I still need my mother for.

A girl will always need her mother.

It isn't easy to hear that she was murdered. That she was taken away from me in such a horrible way. This whole year I've been questioning, why? I've been questioning how I missed that she was in pain. I've been so angry with her for taking her own beautiful life. It can't be true. She couldn't have been murdered. I grabbed my phone, dialing the number of the only person I could count on. He picked up after one ring.

"Jax?" I quietly said, my voice barely above a whisper.

"Where are you? Why did you get in Graizen's car? Did he hurt you?"

"I'm at the cemetery, because I'm an idiot, and no."

I quickly answered all his questions. Jax sighed deeply into the phone. I could tell he was having an inner battle with himself. He wanted to be angry with me, he wanted to take his frustration out on me. But, he couldn't. He has a soft spot in his heart for me. Jax always will.

"I'll be there in ten minutes."

~*~

"Murdered?"

Jax coiled back in shock as he gripped the steering wheel. His eyes remained locked on the road as he took in everything I just told him. I stared blankly ahead of me. There was no way this could be true. A person would have to go through great lengths to plan a murder staged as a suicide. They would have to have an insane motive to orchestrate that.