Chapter Three.

D E V I  N

   "Focus, Dev."

My bones were burning with exhaustion as I focused on the sword four feet in front of me. Jax and I were currently in our third out of training for the day, and it didn't look like he wanted to quit anytime soon. I let out a painful breath as I wiped the sweat from my forehead. I had all these gifts, all this power, and yet my brain didn't have the slightest clue on how to control any of it. We had been training for almost a month now, and I could barely lift a sword into the air.

"I need a break, Jax."

"No, you don't." He rolled his eyes. "Keep going. Just get the sword into the target."

I huffed out in annoyance as I held my hands in the air, trying to make the sword move with everything I had in me. The weapon didn't move an inch. The frustration inside of me was building as I let out a shaky breath of defeat. I dropped my hands to my sides, my eyes on Jax.

"I can't do this."

"Remember when Demerith-"

At the mention of his name, the sword flew straight into the target. I didn't even need to move my hand. The sword flew through the air at the mere mention of his name. I stared at the target in amazement. If only it were that easy.

"I knew you had it in you."

Jax had a smile plastered on his face as he crossed his arms. I couldn't help but let a laugh escape from me as I punched Jax in the shoulder. He winced, almost falling onto the ground. More laughter escaped me as I held onto my stomach.

"Shit." Jax groaned as he quickly hopped up from the ground. "You're a lot stronger now, Dev. Jesus."

My laughter ceased as I dropped to my knees, a sharp pain rocketing through my chest. Not this again. Not here. Jax was instantly at my side, his voice muffled as he yelled out to me. I tuned out the world around me as I focused on taking deep breaths until the pain slowly went away. As my vision came back, Jax was staring at me with nothing but concern in his eyes.

"What the hell was that?"

I stared at my best friend, clueless as to how to form the words that were in my head. I've been having unexplainable episodes of pain run through my body since I discovered my powers. It never lasts longer than a few seconds, but the pain is almost unbearable. Jax was the first person to witness one of them. My mind was running wild as I tried to conjure up a response.

"That was you." I tried to laugh it off. "We've been working out too long, my body needs to rest."

Jax didn't seem too convinced as he eyed me up and down. If anyone could read through my lies, it was Jax. He knew me better than anyone in this city, even Graizen. I knew he wasn't going to let this go as easily as I'd hoped he would. It's Jax. He freaks out if I cough twice in an hour.

"Let's get some lunch then. The group is waiting."

To say I was surprised by his words was an understatement. I was already preparing myself to be inspected from head to toe. I quickly followed Jax who was already halfway to the dining hall. I let my hair fall around my face as the cool air of the main house hit me. You'd think living underground would drive one crazy, but this place is my home. I don't miss the outside world at all. If anything, this is where I was meant to be the entire time. I don't see myself ever wanting to go above ground ever again.