Chapter Sixteen.

D E V I N

"There you are."

Jax quickly ran up to me as I continued to ring out the water from my hair. He took in my appearance, as a confused look appeared on his face. I had finally made it back to the room I had been staying in. There is no doubt that I left I trail of water behind me. Tears filled my eyes as old memories of my best friend floated through me. They seemed like a bitter memory now. All part of some conjured up lie that he created.

"Why are you soaked?"

"Long story." I simply said. He could sense I didn't want to talk about it. I didn't even want to mention his name again. I had never connected so deeply with a person in those moments. Never felt a physical tether between our souls, like I did with him. Only for him to sever it, leaving me more clueless about him than I was before.

"I feel like I never see you anymore." He truthfully said, as we made our way into the house. My clothes were dripping onto the floor, but I didn't care as I stormed through the halls.

"Yeah, well I'm sorry." I curtly said. Jax grabbed my arm, pulling me to him. I glared at him as if daggers were shooting from my eyes. Jax took note of this as he looked me up and down.

"What's wrong?"

His eyes were trained on me.

"What's wrong?" I almost laughed. "I'm alone, Jax. You died in front of my eyes and I'm still in the dark. I need answers, Jax. I can't be left in the dark. Not anymore." Tears welled at my eyes as I harshly wiped them away. Jax nodded, gently grabbing my hand in his. Jax quickly pulled me into a room that I assumed was his. He closed the door, as he motioned for me to sit down next to him. I hesitantly sat onto his bed. This room was surprisingly light and calming. Instead of black all along the walls, white surrounded the whole room. It wasn't what I expected his room to be at all.

"Look," He breathed out as he ran a hand through his hair. "I was linked."

I stayed silent as he said this. My mind wasn't sure how to respond to a loss like this. I told him everything about my life, about my mother. Jax never shared a single thing about his life to me. I thought it was because he was too broken to open up to me. He took my silence as his chance to continue.

"Her name was F-Freya." His voice broke as he spoke her name. I instantly leaned to him, resting my hand against his face. I could tell this was tearing him up from the inside out.

"She was my entire world." He continued.

"The second I met her I knew she was my link. I knew she was my other half. Within a week, we were linked. We were one. After a year, she was pregnant. I was beyond happy."

My eyes widened. I knew she died. But, she was pregnant? Did she ever have the baby?

"We got married. We had the ceremony here, and it was announced. Then one day she was taken away from me." His voice became shaky as he said this part. "Someone took her, they thought she was someone else. When they realized she wasn't, they killed her." Jax spat this part out.

I felt a tear fall from my cheek as he said this. I could see the pain in his eyes, I could see how broken he was. His fists clenched as he told the story to me. I pulled him to me as he let out a shuddery breath.

"She was human. Her neck was snapped right in front of my eyes. After that, I fell apart. I couldn't control my powers. I couldn't control anything. I had such vivid nightmares, of them killing her. Sometimes, I wouldn't know what reality was and what wasn't. One night, my dreams were so vivid. I thought they were real. My parents tried to wake me up, I didn't recognize them. I killed them, in my sleep." Jax's voice was low and ashamed as he said this.

My mouth fell open in pure shock. He killed his own parents? Everything was starting to make sense. The hatred shared between the two brothers, it was all because of Jax. I felt my chest tighten as I imagined Graizen's loss.

That's why Graizen is broken.

Those are his demons.

I felt dizzy as I felt Graizen's grief crumbling around me. I could almost feel his screams, his pain as I closed my eyes. His rage ran through me as I opened my eyes once again. Then, it was gone. For a second, I was sure his own thoughts were in my head. Jax's hand on my shoulder pulled me back to the surface of reality.

"I left after that. I had to start over. That's when I found you. You looked so much like Freya. I thought she was you at first, but as I got closer I realized the differences."

"Wait, what?" I suddenly lost him in his story. I wasn't expecting it to lead to me. I backed away from Jax with wide eyes. I look like her?

"Where is this going?"

"They thought she was you, Devin. That's why they took her. Once they realized they got the wrong girl, they killed her."

The world around me suddenly stopped. She was killed because of me. Jax's life was shattered, his unborn child dead, because of me. Guilt ran through my veins as I titled my head back towards Jax.

"Why? Why did she look like me?" I demanded. My voice was unrecognizable. Rage, confusion, anger was running through my body at full force.

"She was your sister, Devin. Your twin sister."

My breathing picked up as my head started to spin. Denial. Denial was the first feeling I felt. There is no possible way my mother would hide that secret from me. Jax wouldn't have hid this from me, not for the whole time I knew him.

"No, Graizen was there when I was born. He told me the story. Your father saved me, there wasn't two of us."

I shook my head as the entire story kept repeating in my head.

She was your sister.

No, that can't possibly be true. My Mother would've told me. I would've known. I repeated those words in my head as I began pacing throughout the room. The walls felt like they were closing in on me as I shook my head. An overwhelming feeling of loss was crashing against my skull.

"Graizen didn't tell you the entire story, Devin. My father didn't save both of you. The man did manage to take one of the twins. He took Freya. My father saved you. Your mom never knew she had twins, she only thought she had you."

I felt bile rise in my throat as I quickly swallowed it down. My hands were trembling as I brought them to my face. How could they never tell me this? How did Jax never tell me this? Tears were pouring from me as I fell to my knees. Jax crouched beside me immediately, reaching out to comfort me. I didn't hesitate to roughly push him away. He was taken aback, shock written all over his face. His midnight blue eyes filled with sorrow as he held his head in his hands.

"A whole year!"

I cried out as I hit him as hard as I could. He held my wrists in his hands, pushing them away from his chest. My arms were a shaky mess as tears fell from my eyes. I knew there was something connecting me to this place, but this. I was never prepared for this. I never expected this.