Ch 40: Lets Eat

Bash POV

I walked into my house at the end of the day, exhausted, with an arm full of paperwork.

Only to be greeted by various objects floating past my head and into my kitchen.

Sighing, I followed them, less than thrilled I was already going to have to get into it with Nova. Only to pause in the doorway when I noted that she wasn't doing magic at all.

Well other than the flying objects.

She was cooking.

At least thats what it looked like she was doing. She had my mothers cook book open on the table and was somehow gracefully chopping carrots. "Noviana?"

"Nova." She replied, "The stars tell me today was a challenge."

"It was..." I said carefully as I walked into the kitchen, "are you cooking?"

"It is a meat pie."

Yeah, I could smell that, "with no people in it?"

"I rarely eat mortals."

I cringed a bit at rarely but opted to ignore it. "Is there a reason you are cooking?"

"I am hungry." She replied blandly, "and the stars told me you wish to talk. So we shall."

Okay then. Looks like I don't have a choice other than to get into it with her. "Do you want some wine?"

She snapped her fingers and one of my best wines was on the counter, "speak, alpha king."

I poured two glasses, taking a long drink of my own, "it is about my Betas child."

She paused briefly in her chopping, before resuming as if I wouldn't have noticed, "I have informed you that the consequences are not something I am willing to endure."

"I am not asking you to Nova, I will never ask that of you."

"Then what is this discussion?" She replied tossing the vegetables into a bowl followed by mud and a few other things I couldn't identify.

I arched a brow in question.

"For Grug." She replied, "your food is almost finished."

"Right... Thank you. Well, I was wondering if the sacrifice had to come from you for the spell."

She paused stirring in her mud concoction to look over at me, "you recommend a mortal? That does not hold power enough and they cannot enact the spell."

"No.." I began before stopping, noticing for the first with some amusement that she was actually wearing an apron over her gown. "Are you wearing an apron?"

"Spun from spider silk?"

I bit back a smile as she walked around the island counter and opened the stove, a meat pie floating from its depths.

"How... domestic of you Nova."

"I enjoy keeping my clothes clean. Now. You mentioned sacrifices?"