Ch 30: Children

Sebastian POV

Veronica sat upon the settee hand gripping Masons tightly, eyes wide.

Across from het Noviana sat, poised and emotionless, "hello. I am Noviana Nivara."

"She.." Mason started, "Is the witch I told you of."

Veronica relaxed slightly, smiling hesitantly at the witch, "oh... Sebastians mate. Its uhm lovely to meet you Noviana."

Nova looked utterly unimpressed, "I was told to end the curse upon your womb and allow you childbirth."

Veronica grew pale, grip tightening on Mase again, "curse?"

"In the occasion it is too late and your child is dead I would like the corpse." The blonde continued airily.

"Noviana!" I snapped with a growl, "stop it."

She shot me a look before her gaze scanned the couple before us, "very well."

She started to speak in tongues much to Veronicas horror.

When Noviana ceased all was silent.

Then Ronny whined, gripping at Mason.

I snarled turning on Noviana who stood slolwy, "what the fuck did you do?"

She paused, looked at me, then snapped her fingers, gloves appearing on her hands, "she is in labor, likely accelerated." The witch looked at Mase, "Lie her back and hike up her skirts."

"What?!" He asked astonished, doing his best to calm his distressed mate.

"For the birth." Noviana explained dully, "she doesn't have time to go to another room, having it be magically induced." Her gaze shifted, "you, wolf woman, do as you are told and you shall have your child, safely and in good health."

Mason started to protest, earning a hit from his mate, the she wolf baring her teeth, "I swear Noviana if you hurt- AHHH!"

"If I was going to I would have picked a quieter way to do so." Nova spoke softly, setting herself between Ronnys thighs, "oh good you're crowning."

"ALREADY?!"

"Magically induced, you are welcome I shall take the afterbirth as payment."

She. Is. Disgusting.

"No." Mason growled.

At the same time, Veronica agreed nodding her head, "FINE JUST GET THIS THING OUT OF ME!"

Noviana nodded moving Ronnys skirts further up.

I Looked away before I saw more of my friend than I ever wanted.

~~

Veronica and Masons daughter was whaling as Nova examined a jar filled with whatever the fuck she took out of Ronny.

"She wont eat.." Veronica whinned out, worried, "Mason honey, she wont eat I-"

Without a word Noviana removed her gloves and took the baby.

"Wait-" Mason began.

The blonde woman examined the child, finger tip tapping its lips.

The pup immediately stopped crying, instead cooing up at her and taking her finger into its mouth.

Noviana allowed it to suckle for a moment before handing the child back to Veronica.

It immediately latched to its mother, who sobbed out a relived sigh, "shes eating, how-"

"Grug when he was first created needed instruction how to eat when distressed."

Veronica looked to me then at the ground, voice low, "oh? You have a child Noviana?"

"I have a Golem." She replied, "rather than a finger I would shove a fistfull of mud down his throat. The world when new can shock many freshly created beings. Zombies, Golems, changelings, mind slaves, apparently babies as well."

"A-a Golem?"

"Yes. Eating is second only to fear in instincts."

The she wolf still seemed dumbstruck, "right...Mason, what shall we name her."

Noviana started to walk away before looking at the sky an humming softly, eyes meeting mine as she approached.

At the same time Mason said, "Angelique." So did Noviana.

We all stared at her as she nodded, "it is a good name for a girl destined to ascend to her goddess early in life."

Both the new parents froze as Noviana left the study.

"Bash, what did your mate mean by that?" Veronica asked, clutching Angelique to her chest.

I shook my head, "Ignore her, she has been morbid in every encounter. I will give you a moment with the baby, congratulations."

I followed the scent of Nova through the halls, rainwater and the forest mixed with herbs I couldn't begin to name.

I found her in the library, gazing out on of the many windows overlooking the city, "what the fuck did that mean?"

She didn't look my way, "It meant as I said. The child will live no more than a month."

"What," I snarled, "did you do?"

"Nothing." She murmured, "the child was sick long before it was born. Its weight to light and its eyes not quite right within the soul."

This would destroy Veronica, shes been trying since she and Mason first mated, lost several children before the birth. To loose another? "Fix it."

She turned to look at me, sever brow arched, "fix..it?"

"Yes."

"No." She hummed, "That holds no benefit to me."

I stormed up to her and turned her so she was fully facing me, "what will make it worth your time?"

"I am in no mood to bargain."

"Noviana, this child must survive, what is ityou want."

Delicate fingers skimmed my bicep, "you do not understand alpha king, I cannot save that child without great cost to me and I am unwilling to sacrifice."

"What cost?" I growled, "just fix that too."

She laughed lightly, "oh no hunter, that is not how magic works. Have you spent so long destroying it you failed to understand it? There is always a price, a trade. To save that child I would have to give up my own."

"You don't have children."

"I know, therefore it shall take my ability to do so."

"Your ability to..." I trailed off, realization dawning.

"I could." She murmured, "save this child, but in turn I would find myself barren."