Ch 19: Foolish, Unknowing, Witches

Sebastian POV

"Bash." Mason growled, pacing my office, "Ronny hasn't given birth yet. The doctor said the pup was going to be born days ago."

I leaned back in my chair, watching him carefully, "we both know doctors are not always accurate in such matters Mase. I would not worry yet, as you said its only been a few days since she was due, some pups like to make you wait."

He shook his head a bit, "I know but she was perfectly on track, so ready to give birth I almost didn't go on hunt with you and now nothing!?"

I shrugged, "the workings of a woman's body is a mysterious thing."

He nodded, running a hand through his hair, "right. Right. I think just being that near a witch has put me on edge. We have never left a target alive Bash." He paused, "not that I wish your mate dead, I am sure shes lovely."

"She not." I deadpanned, "shes strange and without empathy. But if it helps, I think we should go on hunt." I held up a parchment, "a nearby mortal city seems to be having a bit of a witch problem. We may not have killed Noviana, but an entire coven could be a good way to calm the nerves."

He hesitated a second, "I'll check with Ronny. This wont last more than two days?"

"Likely less." I shrugged, "these bitches are sloppy, they will be easy to find."

~~

Mase, three other wolves, and I emerged from the forest on the outskirts of the city, redressed and on high alert.

The sun was beginning to set, lamplighters making their way through the streets, setting a soft glow upon the city.

Mase watched one work for a moment, "Ronny loves gas lamps. She's been asking to get one for the house y'know? For the porch. Thinks it will be good when the pups old enough to wonder, so it can find its way home."

I cocked a brow, the streets of our city had gaslights, but most homes operated by simple candlelight, "thats quite an expensive ask."

"Yeah well. We live real close to the woods Bash, and Ronny already has these crazy mother instincts. She says gas wont die out like a candle would."

"Shes not wrong." I hummed, eyeing the street lamps, "moving would be cheaper though Mase, somewhere a bit further from the woods."

"Veronica would kill me for suggesting it."

"I don't even have gaslight in my personal home. Only the palace. Candles will suit just fine."

"You try telling that to a pregnant woman who apparently thinks that her child will be born running into the woods."

I laughed a bit, "I would rather not, tell her you can discuss it in a year or so."

He sighed, "I doubt that will quiet her."

"Nothing quiets her but theres at least a years of stalling in that. Besides, you bought her that carriage when you found out she was pregnant so her and the pup would have an easy way getting around the city. The horses, actual carriage, and the driver alone were expensive. While a wealthy man Mase, you cannot keep spending like that."

"I know, but the carriage and all that comes with it was an investment, so she didn't have to walk so much pregnant, so she wont need to while our child is too young to walk, while in its early years and cannot take too long of days, you know how children are."

I nodded, "I agree, it was a wise choice, the gaslight? Utterly unnecessary."

He nodded, "Agreed, maybe later on."

"Mase." I cautioned, "I know she is your mate and mother of your pup but do not spend all your coin trying to please her."

Mason hummed a bit, "well perhaps, if you and Miss Nivara work out-"

"We won't. Ever."

"A firefly lap."

"Witchcraft is banned in our city." I deadpanned, walking a bit faster.

He sighed following after me, "I struggle to think Luna would give you a bad mate."

Well. She did.  "The flame in those gaslamps. They are blue." I mentioned, nodding to a nearby alley, "these witches are truly idiotic enough to be so blatant."

The five of us walked into the alleyway, only to reappear in another part of town in front of a townhouse, its door painted red, stars and sigils carved into the sone of its steps.

It, like all witches homes was unassuming at first glance.

Well like most witches homes.

Novianas home screamed paranormal from the vert first street lamp in the woods right to the iron gate and moving plants. Even the facade was painted in blacks and grays.

This brownstone was unassuming with a red door and cream shutters, ivory pillars on the porch.

No cemetery, although they likely used the city.

No viscous creatures.

You wouldn't ever think something was amiss unless you looked closely at the tiny symbols on the front steps.

I took a cautious step forward.

The door flung open, revealing a young woman with a sharp jaw and disturbingly black hair, "Noviana Nivara how dare you come-" she stopped, blinking at us before a scowl marred her features and she looked back into the house, "Mary, you said you sensed that woman's magic."

"Traces." A voice rang past her.

"Well its just a bunch of men." The woman replied snidely, "one of them likely got cursed by her."

That would be me.

She narrowed her gaze at us, "6000 gold to uncurse you."

"Oh if it was the banished one, that will be very difficult Rosalyn." The other voice chimed.

"10,000 the." The dark haired one, Rosalyn replied, gaze flickering over us and pausing on me, brows raising, "has anyone ever told you you have the most beautiful eyes? You must not be entirely human."

How dumb was this woman?

"For an extra fee I can tell you what you are." She offered.

I looked to Mase who shrugged.

Slowly I nodded, climbing the steps.

By the sounds of these girls, they were not smart enough to trick us and actually succeed.

Foolish, unknowing, witches just invited wolves into their home.

Who would I be to decline?