Ch 39: Grey Area

Bash POV

"The human who runs the closest city is requesting another audience with you Bash." Mason signed as he handed me another stack of papers.

I had been right about his questioning.

He was determined to save his daughter and deeply disliked that I had no information for him.

And so he had been less than warm through the day.

"Mason." I sighed, "I cannot meet with him again the man seems to think since his city is closest to us, he takes priority over other mortals. I oversee all the wolf settlements that protect the humans. Not just his city."

"Should I fill out a formal rejection of his request?"

"No." I replied, "I can do that. What are those?"

"Requests from wolves."

"For?"

"...you are dying Bash. These wolves are worried." He shook his head, "you have given no indication to our futures."

I leaned back in my chair, eyeing my longtime friend and beta, "I may not be dying."

"Huh?"

"Nova thinks she can get us mated without all the side effects."

His brows rose, "side effects. As in the actual bond?"

"Yes."

"What will that do to your wolf?"

"I don't know yet. She is still working it out but Mason if I can continue to lead my people should I not?"

"You should Bash. You were born into this role for a reason and you are an excellent king."

"Mason..." I began, "about Angelique.."

"I know you will not push Noviana on the issue." Was his stern reply, "and I hope you do not expect me to be okay."

"I don't Mason. But she mentioned something earlier that had me thinking." I drummed my fingers on the desk, "we were speaking of hierarchy and the natural order of things and she kept reminding me that she is not a typical witch."

"Okay? Shes more powerful and arguably born evil depending on who you ask. And?"

"We cant risk Noviana for Angelique. But she likes to play predator even amongst her own kind, as uncommon as that is for witches. We have seen it ourselves."

He stood a little straighter, mind clearly whirring.

I smiled a bit, "The woman is making changes to an ancient mating ritual. I am wondering if perhaps we aught to ask her about alternatives for Angelique."

"You think Noviana Nivara would sacrifice another witch to save a wolf the type of being that would grow up to attempt to kill her." The hope in his voice was climbing fast.

"She claims they banished her because she was what they never could be. Would you have any loyalty to them after being sent up a mountain?" I replied deadpan.

"No." He scoffed.

"Good. Considering this is a huge moral grey area with our duty as wolves it is best that no one knows we ever even considered this."

He sank into the chair across from me, eyes searching my face, "this isn't something you would have ever considered before Bash. You have always seen the world as two sides, in black and white. You have always been meticulously dedicated to our mission."

"My entire life changed when I met Noviana, Mason, everything I have ever known is being challenged, the world has tilted, and I'm in a grey area. So before I get control of my life and morals again, I can at least try and help you."

He nodded, "you know she is going to want something in return, right?"

"Lucky for us, I have a few ideas on how to bargain with her." I smiled a bit, "but you may not like it."

His brows furrowed, "what?"

"A werewolves first canines are immensely important to us."

"Yeah. All parents keep their children's after the adult ones have grown... oh." He grew pale.

"I have a feeling they are probably full of the kind of shit nova likes for spells and if its from a baby saved by magic who knows? Maybe it will be even better."

"Ronny will fucking kill me man, thats like a she wolves right of passage, to collect those teeth."

I leveled him with a stare that would freeze most wolves in there tracks. I didn't want to be harsh but, "its better than never getting to see them come in in the first place."

"What if she wants more than the teeth?"

She probably will. "Then we discuss that then. I will speak to Noviana tonight. Do not go and get Ronnys hopes up yet. I just wanted to inform you before I did this incase you were against the idea."

"If my daughter gets to live I find it difficult to find fault in any plan."

I nodded a bit as he stared from the room, thanking me.

Sitting back as he left I shoved the dread from my mind and tried to rub the headache from my temples.

What the fuck kind of a man am I becoming?