Ch 37: A Wonder

Sebastian POV

"A-alpha, you wish us to allow a witch into the temple of Luna?" One of the Elders of luna looked up at me, grey brows furrowed as his gaze flicked to Noviana who had taken to examining one of the statues at the top of the steps, "and one dressed as she?"

I looked over the woman, the dress she wore was shocking -as always- something about the little teasing glimpses at her flesh without ever revealing it all.

Even for a society that doesn't mind nudity, she is a shock.

Even our women wear the same covering human fashions when not shifting.

"Luna.." her soft voice drifted through the air, "was often without a scrap of clothing. It is said she made love to the stars." A flicker of a smile on her lips, "one can only imagine the pleasure."

The elder squirmed a bit, "I am unsure..."

"I apologize Elder Cardinal, but I must... insist on Novas being allowed entry to the temple."

He blinked at me, shocked.

It was rare that I pushed my authority onto those who reside in the temple of luna.

I am a king not a god, I have no place in my peoples religion.

I have no place commanding those much older than I who have spent their lives in religious devotion.

The temple elders are aware of my views and are used to leniency.

Cardinal, luckily, didn't even flinch, "of course. I will guide you both."

Nova glided over to me as I followed the elder his white robes billowing around him, "grug." She murmured.

The golem stumbled after her, still the height of her knees.

"Why is that here?" I grumbled.

"Grug is carrying our sacrifice to the goddess."

"You intend to pray?" I asked astounded.

"Wolves are not the only beings who believe in the moon goddess. She is but one of many I pay homage to."

"If you just wanted to pray," I began, "why not say such because I-"

"I am not here simply to pray."

Right.

Of course shes not.

"Then what..."

She let out the smallest sigh as we walked through the temple doors, "the artworks here alone are filled with energy."

I tried to see this place through her eyes, the grander beauty of the vaulted marble ceilings. The gold status and glittering gemstones, the thick black velvet tapestries embroidered with real gold thread and precious gemstones. The entire temple meant to look like moonlight in the night sky.

I had grown up coming here, to pray with my mother at least once a week, attending service for both new and full moons.

Then as I got older, after every hunt. Bringing my sacrifice to the goddess.

Noviana drifted over to the grand altar, where various sacrifices for the day were already gathering around the massive statue on the dais.

I followed her as she ascended the steps, Grug tripping up the stairs after her.

I could feel several of the temple elders watching her nervously.

She stood, looking over the various sacrifices. Different parts of different creatures wolves had hunted, the white marble already staining red.

Grug handed her a black jar as she snapped her fingers.

I watched her as she caressed it gently, before my gaze drifted to the massive statue of Luna, wolves curled around her feet.

Something about the marble woman always calmed me as a child. "She looks a bit like you," I murmured, walking up behind her, "long hair and sharp chin."

"She is but a statue." She murmured back.

A beautiful one though.

Nova opened the jar, causing my nose to crinkle, "what is that smell?"

She reached in the jar, pulling out a shrunken head.

A literal shrunken head.

"The shrunken, mummified, head of an ogre king. It is nearly 1000 years old."

I blinked at her, "how did you come across that?"

"A gift." She replied cooly, sinking to her knees, gorgeous midnight eyes sliding closed.

Grug sort of just looked around curiously as Nova prayed in silence, head centered at the altar.

I glanced back at Elder Cardinal who was eyeing the head.

Most of the sacrifices were deposited in a pit below the altar to keep the smell of decomposition away, but sometimes things are kept for the vaults, rare artifacts that would be favored by Luna.

Novas prayer was short, fingers brushing my abdomen as she descended the stairs. Ignoring Cardinal as she walked by to the far opposite wall.

My brows shot up as she pressed several of the many moon carvings in a seemingly random order, a door opening to god knows where.

"By goddess..." Cardinal breathed out, "How did she..?"

"What is that?" I growled out.

"The tombs of the alphas.. A tradition your great grandfather ceased it hasn't been opened in a thousand years. No one here knows how to access it. Or where the entrance is." His wide eyes searched my face, "how did she know?"

I shook my head, just as confused as he was.

Nova started down the dark stairs, "the stars told me."

Of course they did.

Cardinal rushed after her, "this is fascinating alpha. A true wonder of my lifetime."

Or a true nightmare.

I think I just found Novas real reason for wanting so badly to be in the temple.

But the problem is what.

What is down there that the banished witch desires so.

Other than the bones of my ancestors.

Three generations of alphas were buried in the cemetery's just outside the city.

Something else is hidden beneath the temple.

And I wasn't nearly as thrilled as Elder Cardinal was to find out.