Ch 24: A Decent King

Nova POV:

I watched the beta wolf as he ran a hand through his hair, clearly on edge, "I want you to try and get along with Sebastian. Besides the sex. Show him him you're not that bad."

I leaned back in my chair, eyeing him with less interest, "I do not want anything other than the sex and fluids for spells. His company is worth nothing to me. As for showing him what I am. He has seen it, I am what I am and intend to stay as is. Is your unborn child a part of this bargain of ours?"

"Absolutely not." He replied without hesitation.

I drummed my fingers upon the arm rest, "then what is it you have come to bargain?"

"Well other than my child or mate what is it you want?"

I arched a brow at him. This wolf is not very good at a bargain, leaving it in my hands. I could ask for the world, "my terms when I have decided them are final, I do not change my mind."

He was nearly able to hid his anxiety at the thought, but it still flickered behind his eyes. "Okay.."

My lips curled up at the corner and I gazed at the crystal ball, the smoke swirling within once more. "Access."

"...access?" He echoed.

"Yes. To the temple of Luna in the heart of your wolf city. These are my terms beta wolf, I will seek you on the third hour of the third night from now. Goodbye."

He started to reply when I snapped my fingers and sent him away, back to his home. Likely feeling a little ill from the trip.

Then I placed a magismoke on the end of my favorite cigarette stick, lighting it and breathing in deeply before touching the crystal ball once more.

The vast imagery in the swirling smoke slowed and stilled, revealing a stone building with climbing iron spires and stained glass reflecting the moons phases.

The temple of Luna holds immense power and endless possibility for magic.

It also happens to hold something of great value to a witch of my caliber.

The beta will refuse at first, in his own mind, but desperate as he is for the life of his alpha, he will relent in these three days time.

~~

Sebastian POV:

I looked pale, dark circles beginning to form beneath my eyes.

Yesterday training had been harder on me than it has been in a long while.

I was growing weaker, it would be impossible to hide soon.

The visiting wolves would expect me to name a successor soon, one of the alphas they have nominated.

Masons baby has yet to be born, that possibility still hanging above me.

And my time was short.

Splashing cool water on my face and running my hands through my hair I tried to avoid my own reflection.

Im nowhere near what I once was. My diminishing strength was beginning to show, my pallor, the lessening muscle mass.

The fate of a wolf who dies from the lack of a mate isn't an honorable warriors death.

It means dying sick, barely even able to function anymore. Likely to keep male wolves from stalling in finding their mate and starting a family. A punishment for staying too wild too long.

One I was facing, not for my own wildness but my own dedication to our mission.

The very last blood alpha.

And I would die weak and alone.

I closed my eyes for a brief moment, breathing deeply to calm myself.

A knock sounded at my door, as it always did this time of morning if I had not already left my room in the palace.

Im sleeping more and more these days.

Growing too tired to even make it home from here.

"Bash?" Mason called through the thick oak.

"Come in." I called back.

The tall man sauntered into the room, clearly hell bent on something, "I think you should make a decision on the next-" he stopped himself as he looked at me, jaw clenching.

"That bad huh?" I grunted.

His gaze dropped, "you could end this Bash. Noviana is-"

"A witch."

"Yes but, she's a witch who could keep the original alpha bloodline going."

"Soiled. It wouldn't be pure wolf anymore."

"But it would be strong."

"Were you not just about to say I should pick a new alpha?"

He hesitated a moment, "well. Yes. But you have to know Bash, seeing you live is always my first choice."

"I still stand by having your child if born an alpha take my place." I continued, ignoring what he had just said, "I will pick a replacement for it if that does not occur."

He blinked at me, clearly surprised, "really?"

"Yes. I have been considering it even if I deeply dislike it." I grumbled, "I am a decent king you know, and an even better alpha."

Mason smiled a bit, "damn straight you are, so when is the decision."

"Today." I commented nonchalantly, walking from the room.

Mase scrambled to catch up to me, "wait, Today?"

"Yup."

"When?"

I shrugged, "right now I guess."

"Now?"

I arched a brow, "it was you who wanted to talk about my making a decision now you don't want me to?"

"Well..." He started, wide eyed, "yes, but this seems hasty, are you sure you are ready? Why not push it until tomorrow morning?"

I gave him a bemused look, "I'm finally doing what you want, and your telling me to wait?"

He didn't reply.

"Have something I should be waiting on?" I pressed, curious.

"No." He shook his head. "Lets gather everyone in the throne room to make the choice."