Ch 29: Long Enough

Sebastian POV

I had to restrain Mason from attacking Noviana who has somehow produced one of those strange glowing cigarettes and a long black cigarette stick with tiny silver detail from fuck knows where in her dress. "Why?" I growled at her as I shoved Mase away, "do you always wear such flimsy excuses for clothing."

She lit her cigarette in a nearby candle, inhaling slowly before speaking through shimmering blue smoke, "all things considered, that is your question at the moment?"

"Yes." I replied, "it is."

"Wolf women are naked all the time."

"When shifting! Never when simply roaming around."

She hummed around the end of the stick, "pity, it is so freeing to wear nothing but scraps. The universe has no obstruction that way. I wear it because I choose to." She tapped the stick with a sharp nail, ash falling from it, "Mason is returning."

I spun, gripping the enraged man by the collar, "get it the fuck together Mason!"

"She's trying to kill my mate!" He snarled back.

I shook my head, "Noviana puts effort into absolutely nothing. What did you promise her."

"I already told you," the blonde woman chimed, "a tour of The Temple of Luna."

"In exchange for?" I questioned.

Mase sighed heavily body sagging, "she attempt to be a decent mate."

"I made a speech." She muttered taking another puff "and then had a lot of sex, although the deal excludes all things sexual."

"The speech wasnt trying!" Mason growled at her.

"They can cut open your lover to retrieving the baby, although the survival rate after such an occurrence is alarming low." She deadpanned back, "although I would be happy to give that a try."

The man jerked forward again.

I shoved him back.

He stared at me utterly shocked, "you're protecting her?!"

My inner wolf considers her his, Mason is lucky I have such good control otherwise he would be dead.

"No." Noviana blew more smoke into the air, looking almost bored, "he knows that attempting to kill me will break the blood oath and you will die a very painful death. Likely vomiting blood and ruining all your valuable organs."

Right. The original blood oath with her.

Mason and I looked at one another.

Both of us know we both forgot that in our rage.

Neither of us would ever admit it to the evil woman before is though.

Her button nose wrinkled, "you both reek of masculine pride and rage."

I looked at her, making sure I was between both her and my beta, "fix Veronica."

Another puff, "arguably I did. her body holds more value while pregnant."

"She was not part of the oath with Mason."

"No, but she makes excellent assurance that I make the rules when it comes to the definition Of trying."

"Fine!" Mason exclaimed, "you tried! Let her go."

Novas midnight blue eyes met my own, muttering softly, "he is terrible at a bargain."

"You let Veronica go," I started, "We show you the temple of Luna and give you a spell ingredient you desire."

Her lips quirked up, "a fe-"

"Excluding a fetus or anything that would kill a member of my pack." Following her gaze around the room I scowled, "or visiting wolves."

"You..." she hummed, "are much better at a bargain. Very well bring me the woman."

"Mason." I growled, "take Ronny to my study. We will meet you there.

He nodded tensely, storming from the room.

I glared down at Noviana, her pretty features still indifferent, "what the fuck am I supposed to do with you?"

Heat pooled behind her eyes, "I have several ideas."

Shaking my head I gripped her arm and pulled her from the bench, much more gently than she deserves, "you are in so much trouble Noviana, lets go."

"Is that so?" She mused, as we exited into the hallway, "what are you going to do alpha king, spank me?"

Irritation flooded by body, "your ass is lucky I don't paddle you."

A small hum escaped her as her finger sought the muscles over my arm, "you are much too sensitive for such a stern lover."

"I'm not your lover Noviana."

"Oh?" Slight amusement painted her tone, "so you do not want to take a slightly detour to your study and put me on my knees?"

Great. The woman knows she's ridiculously talented at oral sex. "Actually no, I don't."

This seemed to give her genuine pause, "what?"

"I want to get to my study and fix Veronica."

"It is not your child."

"No but Mason is my friend as is Ronny, since I was a child. I will not see her dead because of your selfishness."

She stopped dead in her tracks, "I no longer enjoy this."

"Frankly, I don't give a fuck."

"She is one mortal. The child is nothing spectacular, just some little girl-"

"Its a girl?" I asked heart sinking.

"It is." Her eyes narrowed, "you are displeased by this."

"I am happy for them, Mason will dote on her until the end of time." And I am happy for them, it just makes my need to pick a successor all too real."

Novianas head cocked to the side, lips parting, "you had hope it would be an heir. A male alpha. Rare as it is."

I didn't respond instead I took her arm oncr more and continued on.

"You look a bit thinner again."She mused, "how much longer do you have to live do you think?"

The anniversary of my birth is next month. My fall will become rapid now, "Long enough."

"The stars tell me otherwise lover."

I growled lowly hating whatever gave this woman whatever answers she desired, "Tell the stars to shut the fuck up."