Ch 61 - If We Had Known

~Sara~

At least five bergs arrived, and the groups were all hauled inside. 

None of the guards seemed remotely shocked to see Rachel or Sara among the group, which was kind of suspicious. Maybe it wasn't such a prowess that they could escape HQ at first. But when they got to Jorge and Brenda, apparently, they had a problem with both being onboard.

"What are they doing here?" one of them demanded, pointing a gun at Brenda and moving it from her to Jorge. Then, they even went as far as making Thomas choose whether they should shoot Jorge or Brenda. All the while, Sara received nasty stares from the majority of the guys and girls onboard, like it was all her fault.

As if Sara didn't already know. But she had to make another faulty move in order to fix things. She hoped they'd understand later on.

"One..." The guard pointed the gun directly at Brenda's head, threatening to shoot if Thomas remained silent. "Two..."

Irritated, and aware Thomas—hopefully—wouldn't let anyone die, Sara stepped in. "You know exactly who they are. Put that gun away, right now."

Brenda and Jorge gave the guard a klunk-eating grin once he lowered his gun with embarrassment. He opened his mouth as if to question Sara but thought better of it, given that their act was blown as well.

The guard strangely tried to begin a friendly conversation to compensate for the embarrassing situation in which he found himself, but everyone was in much less than a bad mood for a talk at the moment. Growing uncomfortable after minutes of persistent silence and the shifty eyes, the guard finally dropped the attempt.

Then the actual consequences of Sara's actions up until that point, really started to sink in.

If she was doing this, she needed WICKED to stop playing around like they didn't know a shuck thing of what she'd discovered—what she'd been told, actually. She came for answers and actual solutions. She was sick of pointless directions and unclear instructions. It hadn't gotten them anywhere.

Sara only wished that at least the Gladers would understand why she did it. She would have to confront her uncle face to face, or she would never get the explanations she'd been searching for.

But they didn't understand. 

Minho and the other Gladers onboard looked distressed; their disappointment was almost palpable in the air. Even the girls, the Fielders. Sara was hoping they would somehow understand her position since they, too, were forced to act wrongly for a purpose.

Sara could only imagine what the rest of the group in the other bergs felt. Even Newt, who happened to be boarded onto the same berg as her, gave her a sympathetic look with a hint of disappointment.

No words needed to be spoken for her to see he just wanted an explanation, and he'd be satisfied with just that. But she couldn't tell him. After all, she was looking for explanations too—probably more than anyone else—thanks to her untainted memory.

Rebecca, too, would be terribly upset with her, but she would have to understand that Sara had enough lying-to.

She would give anything to remove all the tragedies engraved in her memory, and have the option to retain the good memories. Her mother, her father, Newt, the Gladers. That was it.

Not when her parents died or how they died. Not when she was basically chased out of her home only to run into Janson's house. Not when she found out about the global catastrophe that swept over the planet. But then again, if she didn't have any of those memories, she wouldn't have had the chance to do something useful about it.