Ch 18 - Break Down Your Walls

One day, Sara woke up to see Newt's bed was empty next to hers. 

Clint and Jeff came in from other med-rooms and stopped by to check up on her. As they did so, she could no longer fight the urge to ask.

"Hey Jeff, has Newt's foot healed completely? Where is he?"

He pursed his lips. "Well, not exactly. He's able to walk on it, but not on his own. We asked some of the Builders to make him some crutches. He won't start to work full-time until he can walk without them."

That didn't seem safe. "So, you just... let him out? What's he doing out there if he can't work?" she asked.

"Well, he hasn't stopped being Alby's right hand," Clint answered. "He'll start working, but he'll just have to take it easy. Besides, Alby could really use his help, at least with supervising the Glade. He'll be fine. These things take time," he finished.

"But don't worry," Jeff added. "You're getting much better too. We actually came to tell you that you're able to go back to work today."

Her eyes lit up with excitement. Finally, some good news. "So, I'll be able to sleep in my hammock tonight?"

They both nodded, amused at her reaction.

She couldn't wait. It'd taken longer since only a few Builders didn't actually hate her and had offered to build her a separate hut for the sake of privacy.

Immediately after breakfast, she headed straight to find Alby now that Clint and Jeff confirmed her second initiation in the Glade workforce. She only hoped nothing would happen to her on the job she actually intended to keep.

"Good luck today," Alby told her with a mischievous smile planted on his face. Sara felt stupid since she wasn't sure if he was just being a shuck-face, or if there was any double meaning intended.

Either way, she was anxiously walking toward the gardens to begin her Track-hoe duties with Zart once again.

However, her fast-moving legs made a halting jolt as she saw who was speaking to Zart.

No, no, no, no.

Her blood began to boil as everything fell into place in her mind, including the reason everyone was laughing at her without telling her why.

Was he always a Track-hoe? Possibly. Had she known, she would've stayed with Clint and Jeff as a Med-jack.

Newt raised his head, and he turned to see Sara approaching the gardens. His shocked expression matched hers before he managed to turn it into a frown—as usual.

"So, this was the job you chose?" he asked.

Sara couldn't believe this was happening to her. "Well... I'm just as surprised as you." She attempted a smile, although she only wished to disappear. Maybe she would start working in the kitchen more often.

"Lucky me," Newt said with a slightly annoyed expression. Sara took offense to that, and she scrunched her eyebrows at him.

Then she heard Zart snickering right behind Newt, and she turned to glare at him.

"Guys, just... you know, do the job, and try not to hate on each other that much, good that? I don't feel like dealing with you two," he said as he regained his seriousness.

"Oh, don't worry, Zart. We'll be just fine..." she dragged her last words.

"You're quite right on that, Greenie," Newt told her, to her surprise. "My bloody shift here is over. I'm gonna go find Alby." Then he turned to Zart. "He probably needs me more than you do anyway—sorry, shank."