Ch 37 - Picking Sides

~A/N:

Just to clear up, this first part is basically the last thing that happens in the last chapter, but it's through Rebecca's perspective from what she sees through the camera of the beetle blade.

–––––––––––––––––––

~Rebecca~

She hid in her room, her touchscreen in hand, and she took a seat on her bed.

Every once in a while, whenever she could hide it, she opened footage of the Glade, to check up on the only girl in Maze A. The same beetle blade who'd followed the girl around since she got there, was scurrying along the grass.

Normally, she didn't check on the girl so late at night, but she hadn't been able to hide from Janson lately. There just wasn't enough time, and it'd been a while.

She did a double take when she realized that the beetle blade wasn't hiding anywhere near the girl's hut.

Intrigued, she watched closely as the mechanical lizard neared a small compartment, secured with a barred door made out of wood, and tied with rope.

As the creature crawled inside, through a square hole of the cell, Rebecca caught sight of the girl, curled up in a ball on the ground.

When Sara looked up and stared straight into the camera lenses in the eyes, right at that moment when it looked like she was staring straight at Rebecca, the woman's heart broke.

To avoid adding to the girl's humiliation, she directed the creature into a perfect hiding spot among some bushes near the entrance to the pit.

Rebecca stayed put the entire time, until Newt approached. She listened to their entire conversation, hands anxiously gripping the touchscreen.

After the boy left, Rebecca hastily shut the screen off, and hugged the thing to her chest in fear.

"Time for me to step in," she whispered to herself before lying in bed, aimlessly staring at the ceiling in the midst of the darkness of her own room as she thought about a solution.

~Newt~

Confusion spread from one face to the next as news of the incident got to everyone by morning.

Confusion and disappointment. Many had watched her get thrown into the pit, but they didn't know why until Gally made sure to get everyone on track.

Very few people were in shock, actually. The rest already anticipated this to happen, and Newt felt terrible for not believing them at first.

Confusion and disappointment weren't even close to half of what he was feeling. He felt betrayed, taken as a complete fool, by none other than the person he loved the most.

His heart still ached for Sara.

She slept in the pit, she had to do so a few times before, but now she'd stay there until the Council figured out what was gonna happen next.

Newt was encased in a complicated mixture of emotions, and that was dangerous. He couldn't deal with the situation if he couldn't control those emotions, or if he was biased. He hated how his negative thoughts thrived to cave in, as it was usually the case.

He tried to sort out his thoughts multiple times, failing miserably.

She lied, she did you all wrong. She did you wrong. You were in a relationship, and you did everything for her. And she pays you off like that? She probably doesn't even love you.