Ch 46 - Gone Wrong

~Sara~

She woke up strangely well-rested, but she noticed that the sun hadn't come out yet.

Newt was sleeping next to her, his arm wrapped around her waist. Confused as to why she suddenly woke up that early, she carefully grabbed Newt's wrist to check the time on his watch as usual, trying not to move as much so she wouldn't wake him up.

10:13 a.m. What?!

She hadn't realized how late it was until then.

This time, disregarding whether or not she woke Newt up, she sprung out of bed in a panic, almost smacking him in the face in the process. Naturally, Newt jerked awake and was up in an instant.

"What happened?" he groggily asked, a bit disoriented.

She ignored him, opening the door to their hut to check why it was so dark out, and she let out a gasp.

"Sara, what's wrong?" she heard him as he stepped out of bed and came up, limping behind her.

Without a word, she pointed to the sky, and Newt's eyes widened as he gazed upward.

The sky didn't even look like a sky anymore. It was blank. No blue, no clouds, no sunlight—just a lifeless, gray canvas hovering over their heads like a boring old ceiling.

Sara already knew that the sky in the Glade was fake, but she wasn't expecting to see actual proof that it was.

"What in the bloody—?" he began but paused as he once again craned his neck upward to stare at the giant nothingness.

Once they got dressed and stepped outside, they saw that the rest of the Gladers were also pretty disoriented. No one had really begun their daily duties yet, and the vast majority were looking up at the non-sky. A couple of them rushed over to Sara and Newt to ask what was going on, and Sara tried her best to calm everybody down with a quick explanation, which had quite the opposite of the desired effect.

Minho and Thomas woke up pretty late, thrown off by the lack of light, so they missed their chance to go into the Maze as soon as the doors opened.

Everything was going downhill rather quickly.

Two days ago, it was Thomas's first training day as a Runner with Minho, taking a mini tour of the map room right before going for the actual run. Sara thought Thomas would be a nervous wreck, but this was exactly the guy that survived the Maze with Minho for a whole night. He was totally prepared to begin his first run, and she honestly didn't understand his obsession—neither did Newt—for as much as she wanted to get out of the Glade.

Another thing was that Gally never returned from the Maze since two nights prior, and many Gladers thought he was dead. Sara still didn't want to believe it since she suspected that some of his most loyal friends were probably hiding him somewhere, mostly because Minho wouldn't let him hear the end of it. Following the last Gathering, it was a known fact among them that Minho wanted Gally's head on a platter.