Ch 40 - Mind to Risk

~Rebecca~

That night, as the very last one of the Gladers fell asleep, Rebecca got to work.

She had no other resort than to implant evidence in their minds as they slept, something she hoped would certainly work in Sara's favor.

Memories. Old moments in their long-forgotten past life. Anything that would help them understand Sara's purpose—that she wasn't who they feared she was.

After minutes of searching for a specific episode in each of their stored memory files, she was ready to release the snippets of memories back into their brains.

Right as she gained momentum to press the button, her eyes fell upon Camera Twenty-five. The image on the monitors displayed a sleeping Newt. He was lying on the grass next to a tree, in the deadheads, far away from the others.

An idea surged in her mind. It was a risky procedure, but she felt it was the right thing to do.

She exclusively selected files from Newt's stored memories and began surveying through them. She selected them, and meticulously focused on releasing them into his brain, prioritizing his over those of the rest of the Gladers.

When she finished with Newt, she quickly began releasing the previously selected memories of the others into their brains too.

"What are you doing?" a voice called from behind.

She quickly whipped around to see one of the doctors standing in the entrance to the monitoring lab.

"J—just watching some of the kids. I grew very fond of them," the woman answered, trying to keep her cool.

The doctor took a step forward. "As far as I know, you're not supposed to be in here. What were you actually doing?"

Rebecca glared at her. "Dr. Lynne," she chuckled, "are you spying on me now?" She pulled out a gun from her coat pocket and pointed it at the doctor who caught her in the act.

"Nice work cutting the security system. And yes, I followed you here," Lynne sneered as she raised her hands in defense. With that, she quickly brought her wrist to her mouth to speak into a communicator device in her watch. "Security—"

"Hand it over or I'll shoot!" Rebecca threatened. "On the floor. Now!" she shouted, motioning with her gun. Lynne complied, kneeling down. Rebecca ran toward her, and forcefully snatched the device from Lynne's wrist.

Still pointing the gun at her, Rebecca went back to the monitor, searched up the history of activity, and she began deleting any evidence of what she'd previously done. Newt's procedure had been completed, but it had to be cut short for the others as she heard the rapidly approaching footsteps.

Guards are coming, she panicked.

Rebecca scrambled to the floor, next to Lynne, who was kneeling down and backing away from the gun pointed at her. Rebecca suddenly pressed the gun to her own arm and shot herself, being wary of her aim so as to avoid damaging a nerve.

She let out a horrible scream of agony, but then she quickly swept her leg over and raised it to kick Lynne on the side of the forehead. The doctor doubled over in pain, grabbing the side of her head in her hands.

Rebecca threw the gun, so it landed right next to Lynne. As soon as the gun reached her, Lynne snatched it and was ready to shoot at Rebecca.

That's when the guards threw the door open.

They saw a bleeding Rebecca, who was holding her arm, about to be shot by the doctor who was bleeding at the side of the head.

Lightheaded from blood loss, Rebecca gave the guards a relieved expression. "Finally. I thought you'd never come."