Epilogue

~A/N:

It's been a while since I finished this book, but I couldn't just leave it at that without giving it an epilogue.

Tbh, I just wanted to give this book an epilogue but I'm not sure myself if it's canon based on the story I wrote itself.

Maybe it's one of the many possibilities of a future for these characters, so I feel like this is a decent closure to the Hope for Us journey. Thank you to all my readers for all the love and support. This is for you ❤︎

––––––––––––––––––––

~8 years later~

She had kept her promise.

The one she had made to her father thirteen years ago.

All throughout Sara's existence, prior to the ten years of peace since her arrival at the Safe Haven, Sara had seen terror and pain wrap their suffocating arms around the world.

Sara was in her mother's womb when the catastrophe hit. She was born into a broken world, grew up in it, and swore that her children would never see it how it was in her time. She was not ready to bear a child in the midst of danger, and she would not have her kids go through what she went through since she was a young girl.

She and Newt both had that conversation a couple years before.

And they did stay true to it.

"Thank you, mamma, papà," Sara whispered softly as she knelt before the memorial made for her parents, Matteo and Amira.

She owed her survival of the raid to her parents, the very first victims of her captor, and then to Rebecca, the woman who guaranteed her survival for the next three years after that. Not to mention the Gladers, the friends, the allies that helped too, and of course, Newt; the man whose love kept her going.

Unknowingly, they had all guaranteed the survival of a new generation that would end the pandemic.

Newt had his hand on Sara's shoulder as they both remembered the people who gave their lives for their success.

He then slowly helped her back to her feet before embracing her, both squeezing each other lovingly, although Newt couldn't fully wrap his arms around her. As they pulled away, she looked down at her large stomach, placing her hand on it, then smiling as she felt Newt place his hand over hers.

When he leaned down to kiss her stomach, someone startled them by jumping directly onto Newt's back with a squeal.

"Hey there, little guy," said Newt with a chuckle. He turned around to take his three-year-old son onto his arms. He got his father's dirty blond hair and his mother's features.

"Found you, dad," said the child, giggling. "Mummy!" He raised his arms at Sara, and Newt moved closer to her. The boy didn't have an accent like his father, but he loved when Newt would teach him words in his own accent, and when he learned that Sara was 'mummy,' it stuck with him.

"Hey, baby!" She hugged her little boy and kissed him on the head.

It of course started out small, but the family was finally growing, and the inhabitants of the Safe Haven were excited to see the flourishing of the most talked-about couple of the place.

And to think, if only WICKED had been more intelligent and humane... the Flare could've been eradicated sooner.

Six out of the seven children whose DNA could cure, were exploited to death, victims of ignorance and cruelty... when they could've lived, formed families, and create entire generations of donors. And of course, now with a safe way to save the ill.