Ch 65 - Training Wheels Off

~Sara~

"Well?" Minho asked, throwing his hands in the air.

Sara didn't know how to start.

"Listen... I'm sorry. I'm not the one who should've started this in the first place." She shrugged, bowing her head. She fidgeted with the string of her sweatpants, trying to distract her eyes and hands with anything instead of watching the switch of emotions on their faces.

Truth was, the journey was officially over for her. She just had to figure out a way she could say it to them without making it sound like she was completely abandoning them.

She wanted to force Rat Man to keep his promise and let them live if she turned herself in. She knew he wasn't a man of his word, but he wouldn't have another choice if he really needed her like he claimed.

"Sara, what's up with you?" asked Minho with urgency. "You usually face up to anything that comes your way. That's the Sara we all know. But out there in the Scorch... I don't understand, but that wasn't you, shank."

Newt didn't say anything. He neither agreed nor disagreed with Minho, but his avoidant eyes told her that he would've repeated Minho's words himself.

Rachel spoke up next. "You didn't have to call Janson—we could've passed Phase Three and gone from there." Her voice was so desperate, like she couldn't believe they were so close to saving the Gladers, and Sara gave up in the last second.

Minho seemed to read her mind once he said, "Don't give me that klunk that you tried to protect us—we had ammo and everything."

Thomas spoke out of the blue. "Yeah that too, but why did you two go undercover and all, without telling us in the first place?" He switched his gaze between the two girls.

Minho raised one eyebrow at him in pride. "Thomas here has a good point." He clapped him on the shoulder. "Why bother doing all that show and then go ruin it in the end?" he demanded, crossing his arms. He stared at both girls, but Sara was getting uncomfortable with the spotlight mostly on her, however.

"Fine!" she blurted out, startling the four of them to silence.

Once she knew that the path was clear to start talking, she explained to them the reason behind her and Rachel going undercover. All about Rebecca's plan and participation in it, and how she was in contact with Jorge and Brenda before the girls met them.

"WICKED had access to your brain activity. If you knew who we were, they would too," said Sara.

"Well, I'm sold," said Minho after a few seconds of silence.

His voice sounded rather mocking—not very appreciative, so Sara knew there was more.

"But...?" She bid him to continue.

"So why shucking ruin it?" he snapped, whispering angrily. "'Cause I bet even Rachel wants to know what the shuck happened to you out there," he finished, quickly glancing over at Rachel.

She looked at Sara sheepishly, but she still nodded. Rachel might've not appreciated Minho speaking for her, but she believed he was right. And Sara owed it to her and the boys.

Newt wanted to know for sure, based on how he was looking at her. He seemed ten steps ahead of everybody—ready to give her the benefit of the doubt at least. That was one of the things she loved about him; he never made the same mistake twice. Those ten steps ahead, however, were also ten more times Sara felt just as guilty.

Thomas shifted uncomfortably, and it was like a throwback to when he was the subject of interrogation with Gally and Alby back in the Glade. He still didn't say much now, and Sara was pretty sure that his discomfort had a name—Teresa.