Ch 29 - Sweet Visit

~Sara~

What have I done?

Looking over at Newt, Sara could see the most astounded expression as he stared back at her. She felt embarrassed.

She didn't know what overcame her, but it was done now. The guy on the floor looked more disturbed than frightened as he held his jaw. He backed away from her either way.

Everyone stared at her, and all she wanted was to run away—ironic—given that they were all trapped. She knew what was in store for her, and she felt the panic rush back up to her chest. She'd broken one of the Glade's main rules. She just got out of a med-bed, and now she was bound to be put in the slammer.

"I'm sorry," she mumbled to no one in particular, her voice barely audible.

Alby, whose presence she hadn't noticed at breakfast, suddenly spoke up. "That's it, take her to the pit."

Gally, who observed the whole scene nearby, stood up and took hold of her arms in an instant.

"Wait—Alby, she didn't mean to," she heard Newt intervene. "You can't put her there—she's still recovering."

Alby wouldn't even listen to Newt. "She should've thought about that before attacking this shank. I'm sorry, Newt, but we gotta respect the rules. Order, remember? If we make exceptions, soon everyone will think it's fine to do as they please," the leader told him.

Sara gave Newt a look as if trying to tell him that it was okay.

"Two days in the pit. That's her punishment," said Alby, waving his hand with finality.

"Two days?" Gally asked with disbelief, his grip tightening around Sara's arm. "You sent me there for two weeks for overworking this shank, and she only gets two days?" He scoffed. "Wow, you crazy slintheads sure do pick the wrong people. Inspiring leadership."

Alby gave him a cold look and tilted his head. "Stop whining. Your punishment was reduced, remember? And you injured her repeatedly, for no reason. She punched this shank in the heat of the moment, while being provoked. Besides, ya think it's only about her? He was disrespecting my Second-in-Command. He had it coming."

Although Alby had no real intention of defending her, Sara was glad his friendship with Newt could account for a lesser punishment for her.

Gally muttered something indecipherable, but he stopped arguing at least.

As Gally walked Sara over to the pit, Newt hurried over to grip her arm while leaning close to her ear and whispering, "I'll go visit you later."

There was something in his tone of voice that worried her. She didn't know if he was mad at her for what she stupidly got herself into, but he didn't sound how he normally would when talking to her.

Gally pried Newt's hand away from Sara's arm, and pushed him back by the chest. "Let go. I'm sure you'll survive two days without her, shank."

"Don't touch him," Sara growled at Gally. At the sound of her voice, Gally pushed her along harshly, and she groaned in pain due to her tender, recovering body.

Newt tightened his jaw, and he tried to charge at Gally, but Alby restrained him by putting one arm over his chest.

And Sara found herself locked up in that hole for the second time since she first arrived. Two times weren't too bad but considering the kind of order the Gladers had established, two times were too many. She was conscious she'd been breaking many records lately, given that she probably won first place for the longest time spent in the Med-jack hut, for example.