Ch 79 - Déjà Vu

~Sara~

"How did you guys break in?" she asked as Minho handed her a launcher he'd stolen, then they ran down the hallway.

"Vince," Minho replied. "But I don't know how the others got in."

"I do," Sara grumbled as they hid behind a wall.

One guard rose from the ground with difficulty and began heading their way. She peered over slightly, targeting the man, and shot him with a grenade. He collapsed, writhing with sparks flying around him.

"How?" asked Rachel.

"Vince traded the Immunes to free The Right Arm of prosecution. He sold them to WICKED basically," said Sara, and Minho laughed humorlessly.

"I should've shot him in the berg," he muttered.

More gunfire and grenades were being shot in the distance, and it really seemed like WICKED was caught by surprise this time. There weren't as many guards retaliating, and Sara kept seeing more familiar faces as they rushed to fight back against whichever guard appeared.

Sara could see Thomas, the Scorch duo, Gally, and the two teenage traitors rushing forward to meet them. The relief was immense, but their time was limited. It wasn't happy reunion moment. Some things—grievances, hellos—all of that would just have to wait until they could solve all their problems.

She had to avoid thinking about Newt. It was impossible; he never left her thoughts, but if she let the sadness take her over, she wouldn't be able to continue running with the others. Newt would've wanted her to help her friends, and for once, to just stop crying over everything.

"Did you guys know about this?" asked Minho, specifically looking at Teresa with suspicion. She was always an easy target to blame, but that was what past experiences had taught them.

"About what?" asked Teresa.

"Vince. Shucking slinthead sold us out," Minho replied.

Jorge scoffed. "I knew it—"

"No, I didn't know," Teresa interrupted, specifically looking at Thomas, as if wanting to gain his favor. "Believe me."

"Vince never talked to any of us, he acted on his own. The Right Arm had their own plans; they just used us however they deemed necessary," said Thomas.

Sara noticed he wasn't as angry with Teresa like before. There was always a part of him that just couldn't forget what she did, and Teresa must've expected him to forgive her so easily, but those things took time. Yet he wasn't as harsh to her anymore.

"And you?" Minho asked Gally. "You knew about this, right?"

Gally raised his hands in defence. "Hey, the plan is literally the same. We just need to go get 'em now." Everyone gave him a suspicious look, but he just sighed. "Vince lies to make his plans work out, okay? You guys still made it. Don't question me. I'm not the one who lied to you multiple times." As soon as he said that, he glanced sideways at Teresa.

Brenda must've noticed the subtle tension and she quickly grabbed Thomas's arm. "Let's go." Then she looked over at Sara. "What do we do?"

"Rat Man said the Immunes are back in the Maze," she said, and it was almost as if her friends hadn't heard her, simply blinking back at her, appalled. Maybe they didn't believe her—there were certainly many doubts regarding that information. "I know. But guys, we have to go back." She scanned their faces, and they didn't seem too excited about the idea, but if that was where everyone else was taken, then there was no other choice.

"Why the Maze, though?" asked Rachel. Only those who experienced the nightmare that was being stuck in there understood the skepticism over going back. Sara wasn't gonna lie to herself. That wasn't a very pretty thought.