Ch 57 - Hushes, Roses, & Noses

~Sara~

Minho stopped struggling against Thomas's grip, then Rachel and Sara turned to Jorge only to receive a glare from him. Sara knew everyone would assume that one of them threw the rock at him, which she in fact did.

She didn't care if WICKED told Jorge to act that way with the boys; she wasn't letting him hurt her friends over a petty little argument.

The aura of hostility increased as both girls took out their knives and pointed them at the Gladers, followed by the Cranks, who pulled out all kinds of nasty-looking weapons. Before the chaos broke out, Thomas offered to talk to Jorge in private.

"Fine, but he dies," Jorge agreed, pointing at Minho.

"What? No," said Thomas.

"Then you all die," Jorge replied, shrugging.

"Please, just listen. Just give me ten minutes to talk," Thomas continued.

This couldn't go on, so Sara stepped forward and pulled Jorge to the side. "Do it," she muttered.

In the same low whisper, he said, "You shouldn't have hit me with that. I know it was you."

Sara shook her head at him. "I don't care. You're going back there, and you'll listen to Thomas. Stop pulling off a tough guy act. I'll be honest with you, it just makes you look stupid," she whispered back vehemently.

"Fine, fine, fine," he waved her off, unwilling to accept she was right. "Get back there and don't reveal yourself."

Jorge motioned for Thomas to follow him to have their talk, then Rachel and Sara stood beside Brenda and the Cranks in front of the Gladers.

"Watch these punks," Jorge instructed them both. "If I say the word, let the death games begin."

So much for dropping the act.

"Thomas is just gonna get us all killed," Winston mumbled discouragingly.

Ain't that the truth... Sara couldn't agree more. If it didn't happen resulting from Thomas's stupidity, then Minho would have beaten him to it with his brute instincts. But Sara wouldn't let that happen.

She took a moment to look at her precious boy. Seeing him alive and well brought so much relief. She'd feared she would lose him. And she just wanted to run up to him and hug him so tightly, but she couldn't. All she could do was just to be there to make sure nothing happened to them in those trials, and hopefully buy some time before they struck a move against WICKED.

Since she couldn't bother to speak up and give herself away, she had to maneuver other ways to extract answers. Consequently, Brenda began asking the questions.

It turned out that a couple of them died—and Sara knew that since she didn't see the complete, original group. It was difficult to notice at first when the group was relatively large still, but it was heartbreaking to hear the news.

She just kept breaking promise after promise. She wanted to save them all... yet it was becoming impossible.

Sara could see how uncomfortable Newt was. "Why are you so interested in knowing about us, and what we've been through? Who are you?" he asked Brenda.