Ch 48 - Grievers

~Sara~

They survived the night.

Everyone went back to sleep like usual after the Grievers left, and Sara stayed with Newt in the Med-jack hut all night.

The Glade was in ruins, and everyone was still frightened by the events of the night before, but no one had died except for Gally.

He was right. All the Grievers left after taking one of them, which was him.

Now, the Builders were trying to reconstruct the Glade—what they could salvage, to prepare for tonight.

The Med-jacks disinfected Newt's injury and gave Sara a clean cloth to press it with. As she waited for Newt to wake up, Jeff also cleaned up the massive scratch on her back.

Newt's eyes opened and they landed on Sara right away, and he gave her a confused look.

"What happened?" he inquired frantically before she explained everything he missed while he was out.

She helped him sit on the bed, and she handed him the piece of cloth, which he readily pressed against the wound on his head, causing him to wince in pain.

"Are you okay?" she asked him quietly.

He smiled softly at her, then nodded. "And I'm glad to hear you're okay. You could've died for staying where you were," he said, his tone a bit harsh. But Sara would never just leave him at the mercy of the Grievers.

She helped him to his feet, and they headed out to look for Minho and the others. Newt would just have to walk around with that piece of cloth in hand, as annoying as it was.

"Wait, what happened to your back?" Newt asked, stopping her by the arm as he took a closer look at the blood seeping through her top.

"Don't worry about it, it's just a scratch," she replied, shrugging it off and pulling him along with her, despite his protests.

The sudden smell of smoke alerted her. They gave each other perplexed looks, then they started walking in the direction where it was most likely coming from. Stopping dead in their tracks, they gazed up at the map room caught up in flames.

❀❀❀

"Guys, I wanted to try and follow the Grievers to confirm if they exit over the Cliff in the Maze," Thomas suggested, determination plastered all over his face.

"Wanna try to get yourself killed?" Newt rebuked. "We've got bigger problems at hand."

"What do you mean?" Thomas asked and Minho rolled his eyes

"You can still see the smoke," Minho commented, jabbing his thumb toward the scene.

"Someone burned the maps. Every single one of them," Newt added.

But Thomas simply headed in a different direction, like he didn't care about a single word being said. Sara didn't even think he was paying much attention, which she blamed Teresa for. The three shared a look as neither expected such indifferent behavior from the aspiring Runner.