Ch 20 - Rough Start for Us

~Sara~

In the morning, Sara woke up earlier than usual, with more energy and excitement than ever. And she wasn't too sure why. It could be that she had a peaceful sleep back in her hammock in the new hut, or that things finally seemed to be less tense between her and Newt.

Nevertheless, she couldn't wait to start working in the gardens along with him, since both Newt and Zart would be better company now that Chris was in the slammer.

When Sara went to get breakfast, Frypan had barely started serving, and not many Gladers were there yet. She took a seat at one of the tables and waited. 

Out of nowhere, she felt someone poking her shoulder.

"Hey, Sara-bear!" She heard Minho's voice.

She turned around and frowned at the ridiculous nickname he gave her. "What'd you call me?"

"What, I can call you however I want." He shrugged, and Sara hit him on the arm.

"If you wanna keep calling me that, then you're gonna have to let me call you Mini Ho." Sara crossed her arms, amusement filling her eyes.

"Do it. I won't get butt-hurt like you," he sassed back.

Sara rolled her eyes, then smiled to herself while remembering the first time she used that nickname on him back at HQ. He didn't like it at all.

"Fine," she said, then waited a few seconds before blurting out, "Mini Ho."

He squinted his eyes, slowly turning his head to glare at her, causing her to laugh.

After a few silent seconds, he asked, "Why are you up so early? Doors haven't even opened yet, and you're not a Runner."

Sara shrugged absentmindedly. "Don't know. Guess I'm ready to have a better day. Yesterday was klunk."

He nodded understandably. "So I've heard. But it wasn't all too bad, was it?" He smiled with amusement.

She raised a brow. "What makes you think that?"

"I don't know," he dragged the last word in a sing-song voice. "I mean... you and Newt," he casually said, before a smirk made its way onto his face.

Her lips parted in surprise at the sudden call-out. "What about it? What's—" She gasped, "...Were you spying on us?" She couldn't bear to think that someone was watching her have a conversation with Newt, especially when they weren't being rude to each other for once; it left room for more teasing.

"What—me? No." He scoffed. "You didn't see me there."

"Minho..." Sara pressed, becoming more serious, "...what did you hear?" Her urging voice sounded like a mother asking her son to confess what he did wrong.

"Nothing," he played along. "I wasn't even there, I swear!"

She stopped to think for a while. He was right; she didn't see him there, but he could've sent someone. Although some of the boys weren't the brightest, none of them would willingly eavesdrop a conversation for Minho's sake. Unless...

"Hey guys!" a high-pitched, cheerful voice interrupted her thoughts.

Sara gladly greeted the boy back, smiling brightly at him until something clicked in her mind. She stood up suddenly, stepped aside from the table to grab both of Chuck's shoulders, and looked firmly into his eyes.