Ch 43 - I'm Sorry

~Sara~

She heard the voices of those approaching her getting louder by the minute. The voices turned into shouts, and then she heard a crowd of boys arguing.

Gally popped up right in front of her cell, the keys jingling as he unlocked it. She didn't have time to react or protest before she was hauled out like an animal. His grip on her arm was painful, and he didn't loosen it despite her protests. She could tell he was using all his strength to hurt her, preventing her from defending herself.

He dragged her along and pushed her to the ground harshly. Sara cried out in pain, then she slowly turned herself around and gazed up at the monstrous Maze walls in front of her. She could see the end of the corridor through its haunting opening.

A tenebrous breeze shook the dead leaves on the Maze floor and lured them farther into the structure, as if the Maze itself were hungrily claiming its imminent victim.

The sun was setting, and Sara didn't have to be told to know what was to happen to her in the next few minutes.

Newt, Minho, Thomas, and a few other Gladers came rushing toward the scene where Gally and most of his followers were waiting to throw her inside. They each had their poles in hand, ready for the doors to begin moving toward each other to close for the night.

Newt lunged forward to get to her, but Winston and some Builder held him back by the arms, and they pushed back on his chest.

"Gally! Listen, you bloody slinthead! You don't have a valid accusation!" Newt shouted, desperate to break free.

"I don't?" Gally asked innocently. "Hardly seems like you paid any attention to the dreams we all had. All of us Keepers in that shuck Gathering saw the same thing, so what's your problem, Newt?"

Minho intervened. "Well, if you paid attention, you'd realize that our dreams got cut off smack in the middle."

Newt nodded. "And my dreams were different. They were complete."

"Yeah, and? We saw what we saw," Gally retorted. "Unless you have a solid argument, your pretty little girlfriend's gonna have a sleepover with the Grievers tonight."

Sara's curiosity was sparked upon the argument. If Rebecca induced dreams on everyone, what did they see that they thought she was guilty? Newt seemed like he believed her now, so did Minho. What about everyone else?

"A solid argument?" asked Newt. "She's been trying to help us the entire time. That's what I got from what I saw."

Gally only ridiculed him. "Dude, I saw her hugging a guy with a name tag that read, 'Assistant Director Janson'." He motioned with his fingers onto an imaginary whiteboard. "Isn't that what she said? She was working with them, and all these guys know it. She needs to be banished before she can plan anything against us," he said.

"Hold on!" Sara yelled. "Janson tricked me into believing him. I had no other family and no one else to trust before I knew what was actually going on."

"Exactly!" Minho shouted. "Get your head out of your shuck butt, Gally. She already mentioned this before."

Sara wondered why Rebecca didn't let them see everything in the dreams so that her intentions of helping would be as clear as day. That woman always finished whatever she began, so if she had to cut off their dreams...

"Becca must've been in trouble! She was forced to interrupt the process, and that's why you couldn't see everything," she said, scanning the Gladers, hoping to get any signals from their expressions that guaranteed they believed her.

"This is all we've got. So that means you're going into the Maze as a preventive measure!" Gally shouted.

"No, Gally! You have to listen to me!" Newt shouted back. "I have proof from my dreams."