Ch 85 - Hope for Us (Final)

~Sara~

The ceremony was not extravagant, but Sara couldn't say the same thing about the bonfire.

People were laughing everywhere, and everyone was feasting with food and drinks all around. And it was a huge surprise to discover the amount of talent among the crowd.

There was music, courtesy of a few known musicians that offered to help, and lots of dancing. Harriet was a really good dancer, and in almost no time at all, she got the entire group on their feet and taught them how to dance to the rhythm of many different types of music.

Newt and Sara danced together for the first time ever, and she loved how the flowy-ness of her dress made the fabric sway in sync to the music. She especially enjoyed the way Newt put the effort to do it well, to make sure she had fun. He couldn't jump around too much because of his foot, but that didn't stop him from dancing elegantly, body against body with Sara.

There were also games that many of them proposed, and at one point, they had Newt and Sara sit on decorated chairs, and then they were lifted in the air, four people carrying one of them on each chair.

The game consisted of a race between the group of four carrying Sara and the group of four carrying Newt. It was a courtesy of Minho, a total blast, and everyone was laughing hysterically when one of the people holding Sara's chair tripped, and she came plummeting down. Luckily, no one was injured, and they helped her up as she was laughing it off.

The bonfire was soon starting to die down, the glee and celebration still around in the atmosphere as Newt and Sara spent a few moments to thank everyone. Many people were still around with food and drinks, and most of them were sitting in groups by the fire, talking to each other and laughing.

Sara and Newt were sitting together, cuddling with the warmth of the fire. Newt turned to her, smiled, then he interlaced his fingers with hers and brought her hand to his lips. She laughed softly before she reached over and gave him a sweet kiss on the lips.

As the minutes stretched by, Sara found herself reflecting on her life, and especially her life with Newt.

It had cost them a lot—everyone knew it did. Faced with dangerous circumstances, they met in the most inopportune moment. They struggled to get along, argued constantly, and it took them a long time to start softening towards one another.

When they were struck by their early, immature affection, it was one of the most beautiful experiences ever. And they thought it would always be like that as long as they loved each other.

It was a shocker when they realized that things didn't get any easier even if love invaded their lives. It certainly gave them strength to keep going, but it was never easy. They were both severely affected by tragedy, and their relationship accompanied a long healing process.

They once had a terrible argument that almost split them apart forever. They experienced the heart-wrenching agony of almost losing one another on so many instances that they'd probably already lost count of how many times it occurred.

Hope was constantly on the line. Every time it seemed safe to hope, to wish for the better, and when it finally seemed like everything was going their way, something always had to happen to shatter those illusory thoughts completely.

But now, all that pain and disappointment were simply a part of a bad memory. It wasn't part of them in the present anymore. Hope was there; it always was. It was just a bit hard to perceive sometimes, way out of reach, unattainable more times than they could count, but it was always there.

And if someone were to look back and wonder if there would ever be hope for a couple like Newt and Sara, two souls damaged by the world's injustice but joined by perseverance and kindness, they could say that there was, indeed, hope for them.

And the product of that was the fact that they were both sitting peacefully, holding onto each other in paradise, with their whole lives ahead of them.

And if it weren't for the unity and undivided support from all of their friends and loved ones, they wouldn't be there, celebrating the start of a new life together, with no disease and no imminent threats to their lives.

❀❀❀

Later at night, Newt and Sara returned to their room, exhausted from the lively party that their friends had put together to celebrate their union.

Sara had Rebecca's notebook sitting on the dresser, and she walked over to it, thinking about her mission to cure the Flare.

She noticed that it had a small little pocket on the hard cover that she somehow didn't pay attention to before. 

Newt walked over and stood behind her, placing his hands on her waist as he leaned down to kiss her shoulder.

"What's that, love?" he asked.

Sara stuck her fingers inside the small pocket and pulled out a small piece of paper that was rolled and attached to a tiny disc-shaped device. She unrolled the piece of paper and read to him the few sentences written on it:

In case you ever want to go back and heal the rest of the world. We each did what we thought was right, and hundreds were saved. WICKED was not good, I have to admit, but it can be in the near future. WICKED is not an organization anymore. It is you; it is me.

~Chancellor Ava Paige

Sara took a deep breath, and Newt rubbed her shoulder.

The disc-shaped device was supposed to activate a flat trans as a portal that led to any place she chose in the world.

"What do you think?" she asked him.

Newt shrugged and smiled at her. "I think you get to decide if that's what you want to do. You know you can't save the entire world, do you?" Sara nodded, thinking critically about Ava's message.

"Yeah."

Rebecca's mother was somewhere in the world, picking up from where she left off, and on her way to try things the way she should've tried them a long time ago. Ava fled, thinking Rebecca had crossed safely with Sara and the rest, but Sara still hoped the woman would reflect on her life choices and learn from them, wherever she was.

"But I also know that you like to help out however you can, and you have my absolute support. I'm proud of you, love," he said, his eyes shining.

Sara smiled at him and leaned into his chest. "And I'm proud of you. Thank you... for sticking with me all throughout this journey." They embraced each other for a few minutes in silence. "Someday we'll go back," she added as she stared at the flat trans activator.

"But for now..." Newt began, turning towards her as a smirk formed on his face. "I think we left something unfinished."

Sara raised her eyebrows at his insinuation, and her face lit up as he elegantly lent her his hand, making her heart flutter. She took it eagerly.

"Then let's bloody finish it," she whispered, trying her best to imitate his accent.

~A/N: Thank you for being with me in the whole journey it was to write this book. I love you all! 💘

>>> Keep going, there's an epilogue 😉