Ch 63 - Phase Three? Four? Maybe Five?

~A/N: Low key one of my favorite chapters.

––––––––––––––––

~Newt~

The brightness of the light once he was led out of his prison sent a stabbing pain through his eyes.

Newt was a bit disoriented since the guards so graciously woke him up, and he didn't even bother to struggle with them this time. 

His whole body felt... different. It was as if he'd lost a great deal of his strength in the past few days.

It'd been a long period of isolation; about three weeks. Newt was exhausted, and he didn't even understand why they had to separate everyone like that. But it all seemed to him that they'd been put through another set of trials.

Bloody ridiculous. 

All he wanted to know was where they took Sara. He didn't care what she did to them in the end. He'd learned to try to trust her; he promised her that, so that was what he was gonna do.

"Tidy yourself up," the guard's gruff voice instructed as he led Newt to the showers. "Tell me when you're done so I can take you to meet your friends."

Finally, something promising. It could've also been another trap to be wary of, yet he didn't know.

He furrowed his eyebrows as he stepped inside the washing room. "Where's Sara?" he asked them, even though he doubted the guards knew the answer to that.

"You have fifteen minutes," one of the men grumbled before shutting the door in his face.

Newt stood there for a few seconds, before a crawling sensation emerged inside his head.

Not again, he groaned as he squeezed his eyes shut, pressing his head with both hands.

It'd been happening every once in a while. A terrible feeling that came and left. Like something was crawling inside his head, an itch that tried to squeeze its way inside somehow. He had an idea of what it was doing to him, but he tried not to think about it as much. He wasn't willing to accept what he was turning into.

And he probably should've told Sara, but he didn't want to worry her.

He didn't even know if she was alright. They both weren't even in the best of terms before they broke apart. And she betrayed them a second time!

A wild fury suddenly possessed him, and he slammed his hands on the wall, screaming all his frustrations out like if the wall in front of him were the source of all his problems. The screams continued until his anger reached a maximum point, and he thrust his fist against the wall several times.

Then, as if a veil were removed from his eyes, he realized what he was doing. His hand, as he brought it down, was burning and stinging at the knuckles. He shakily turned it face down to take a better look, and he saw that the whole back of it was bloody.

Why's this buggin' happening to me? Panting, he leaned on his back against the wall, feeling the sweat trickle down the side of his face.

The door burst open, and the guard poked his head inside. "What are you doing! You have ten minutes left, so I'd suggest you don't waste them!"

Complying to his orders, yet still angry, Newt stripped off his dirty clothes and hopped in the shower. He let the warm water run down his back for a few moments as he wrecked his brain over what was going on inside his head.

The stinging on his hand remained, but at least it was clean now. His gaze lingered on the scars on his right wrist now that he didn't have his band around it during his shower. He thought of Sara, and how she reacted when she saw those scars. He missed her even more.