Ch 75 - Just Keep Running

~Sara~

She watched Newt's face as it went from completely shocked to furious, and then he started hyperventilating.

Gally didn't seem to want to show it, but he was scared of Newt for the first time ever, given the steps he took backwards.

"You killed Alby," Newt muttered tauntingly, his breathing still accelerated as he walked over to Gally. "How are you alive—Minho sent a spear right through your bloody chest!" He spat the words out, grabbing Gally by the shirt and pulling it harshly.

He had a look of pure hatred planted onto his face, his eyes were bloodshot again, and his hands were twitching. The blackish veins were more visible around his neck.

Sara went up to him, trying to pry his hands from Gally. "Hey, calm down."

She could see the underlying concern in Gally's eyes. This was the first time he saw Newt since Alby's death, and he already knew Newt was far along.

But then Newt suddenly punched him in the face, and Gally only held his jaw, gently touching his lips to wipe the blood that started to trickle down the side of his mouth.

"I don't expect you to forgive me, Newt," Gally said calmly, and Sara was stunned. Gally had never been so serene in his life—or at least since Sara had known him. "But... from the bottom of my heart, I hate what I did, and I can't forgive myself for it, even knowing that WICKED was controlling me the whole time."

His calm nature also seemed to take Newt by surprise because his eyes cleared, and he frowned at Gally, a confused look settling on his face.

"Are you okay?" asked Gally, genuinely worried about him. It was almost like Sara had traveled back to the past, before the Maze, watching Newt and Gally act like the friends they used to be back then. Perhaps, if Gally's Swipe had been removed, he finally did remember those times.

Newt nodded, but he couldn't shake off the perplexed feeling. He looked over at Sara, maybe for some kind of explanation, but she raised her palms, just as confused.

Gally then looked back at her with a hard, but apologetic look. "You screwed up a lot, and I hated you for it. But you were right all along too, and you saved a lot of the boys. This isn't a friendship offer—I don't think that's even possible, I just thought... you should know what I had to say." He then averted his eyes.

Sara was at a loss for words, and she opened her mouth to try to say something, but she couldn't. He was right, they could hardly ever be friends due to everything that happened. It wasn't easy to forget that he wanted her dead, and that many of the Builders working under his leadership were the ones who almost killed her.

But Gally's disappearance was so sudden and mysterious, and she did feel bad for him knowing that WICKED controlled his mind. Now she knew what that was like. And somehow seeing him alive and away from everything, even after Minho supposedly finished him off, was almost... relieving.

"I understand," Sara replied, giving him a small smile. "But we watched you die; how is it possible—?"

"It's a long story," he said.

Sara frowned and shook her head, giving him a confused look. "You conned us into thinking you were dead for the past—like what—two months? We have time."

"Later," he pressed, leading them farther inside. Then he called out loud, "It's safe. Come out."

There was a rug on the floor, which Gally removed to reveal the entrance of a basement. The door suddenly opened, and out came Thomas and the others. They were all safe.

"You shuck-faces are alive!" shouted Minho, and he came running down to hug Sara and Newt at once.

Chuck was next, nearly tackling them both. Thomas and Rachel hugged them as well, while Brenda and Jorge nodded at them, grinning. Rebecca also received a warm greeting from everybody.