Ch 30 - Only Us

~A/N:

Okay guys, I don't know how much you guys are into this story but I guarantee you, this chapter is one of my favorites. I promise you'll love it. Enjoy! ;)

––––––––––––––

~Sara~

It was Alby who came to get Sara out of the pit. She was a little disappointed it wasn't Newt himself, but she wasn't about to complain.

The morning weather was surprisingly nice, and it gave her a reassuring feeling that maybe it would be a better day. Even her injuries didn't seem to hurt anymore.

Her first instinct—besides looking for Newt—was to grab some breakfast, and hopefully, not get into another fist fight. As enticing as it was to strike that kid as opposed to a punching bag back in HQ, she had to control herself.

Minho had already left to run the Maze, but at least she found Chuck sitting at their usual table. There was an untouched plate of food next to his.

"Sara! Finally. Got ya some food. Eat up," he said, smiling brightly at her. Sara looked around, and there was still no sign of Newt.

When she asked Chuck if he'd seen him, he simply shrugged. "Don't know. Haven't seen him since yesterday, which is kinda weird. Shank's probably asleep."

Sara shook her head, frowning.

He's an early bird, though.

❀❀❀

After searching the Glade for at least an hour, a surge of panic clouded Sara's senses.

Where the shuck is he?

She started to wonder if that was exactly how he felt before finding her the day of the attack. She knew it'd affected him a lot, but she didn't realize how much. It was a horrible feeling, really. There could be a million possibilities of something bad happening, and it was stressful to think which one was true. That was followed by a tight feeling in the chest that prevented one from breathing normally or thinking clearly.

Sara tried convincing herself that she was overreacting, and Newt was probably fine. Yet she knew that thinking that way was foolish, and if she didn't pull herself together, the more time she spent without finding him, the more likely he could be in danger.

If he knew she'd be out of the slammer after two days, he'd show up to greet her at least. Something was definitely going on with him.

She ran back to her little hut just in case he might've been playing a prank on her. Somehow, she half expected him to be lying on her hammock to surprise her like the dork he was, but what she found instead was a note that was neatly folded on top of it. When she unfolded it, it read:

Sorry to scare you. I know you must think I forgot about your release.

Hopefully you didn't take too long to find this, love.

Meet me in the deadheads, at the southeast corner of the walls.

Don't worry, I promised you something, didn't I?

P.S. Bring a towel and extra clothes for swimming.

–N