Ch 23 - Gone

~Newt~

Life in the Glade had never been more enjoyable as the weeks and months passed by.

Newt and Sara continued waking up earlier than everyone else to meet in the deadheads and spend time together.

They passed time talking, laughing—the smallest joys one could have when living in a klunk place, but at least having someone special with which to rant about it. Sometimes, it was less talking and more contemplating the eerie-looking trees around them, simply enjoying the feeling of being close to one another.

The scenery of the deadheads wasn't the prettiest, but that was the least of Newt's worries when he only had a few moments to see his secret girlfriend.

For the last three months after Sara and Newt got together, their relationship had been what one might have called a 'picture-perfect' relationship.

Nothing had gone wrong so far. She was happy—at least Newt hoped she was—and he was as happy as he could be with Sara. He believed nothing could go wrong if happiness was finally a constant for them.

No, he knew he shouldn't fantasize like that. Nothing was perfect about the world today. However, their relationship seemed perfect. Superficially? He didn't know. Was it too perfect? He wasn't sure—probably.

Needless to say, he hadn't been feeling the best today for some odd reason. He didn't want to be that negative person he'd always been, but there was something that didn't seem quite right. It was hard to tell if it was his incredible ability to anticipate bad things, or if it was just a simple gut feeling. Too many good things had been happening consecutively, and that just didn't seem normal.

Nothing was ever that perfect—at least—that's what he'd been obliged to believe. 

Yet he liked her so much... with every part of his soul—every broken part that'd been pieced back together by her. She filled every empty spot of his heart. He couldn't imagine himself without her anymore.

Just stop, Newt, he told himself. You guys like each other, and that's enough to prove that things can stay on the bright side if you try hard enough.

Seeing Sara that morning seemed to blur his pestering thoughts for a moment. And maybe that unsettling feeling was all just a silly thought. He pushed it aside and decided to just wait for the day to go by normally, as any other day, with the only enjoyable part of it being the time he spent with Sara. Nothing ever compared to that time of day.

Today, she was set to work in the kitchen with Frypan. Newt was happy that she got to do two jobs like she wanted, but then he started to miss her being by his side in the gardens.

What was he thinking? That was so selfish. If she was happy, he should be happy as well. She did cook better than Frypan though, so everyone at least got better food.

Newt scoffed at his own thoughts. Who was he kidding? Knowing himself, he'd be happy only eating a raw potato for lunch if that meant he got to spend the entire day with her. He knew it was overdramatic, but such was his desire of spending time with her and he wasn't ashamed of admitting so.

Before the work began, as he was with her in the deadheads, he had the urge to tell her something he'd thought about very carefully. Maybe it was too early for him to say it, and it would be like he was forcing her into a level she wasn't quite ready to reach yet, but Newt really wanted to tell her.

Unfortunately for both of them, as he would come to find out soon, he decided against it. Frypan needed her early in the morning, so she only had time to give him a quick kiss on the cheek.