Ch 68 - Unintentional

~Sara~

She groaned before snapping her eyes open, completely forgetting where she was for a moment.

She sat up and looked around as the memories came rushing back instantly, and she lay back down with a thud and a grunt.

Newt, Minho, Thomas, Chuck, Brenda, and Rachel instantly rushed to her bedside.

And then she saw an additional face; a familiar one at that.

She was watching Sara with regretful eyes, probably anticipating her reject. 

Sara huffed at first, relieved to see she had come with them, but still a bit upset about the rest. Once again, she sat up on the bed.

She wanted to call her name, but her throat was so sore that she remained silent as she was still staring at the woman.

"Sarita," said the woman, smiling sadly. "How do you feel?"

"Terrible," Sara chuckled, her voice hoarse. "How long was I out for?"

Newt smiled and replied to her. "Not too long. We practically just took off." He gave everyone a quick glance, and they all looked back at him briefly.

Chuck giggled. "I'd never seen one of these before. This is so freaking cool!" He gestured to his surroundings, and Sara scanned around the interior of the berg.

So... this was Jorge's 'baby.'

Nice.

She was glad they finally took off on a berg, but she had no idea where they were going. There wasn't really a place for them at the moment, and they still didn't know where the rest of their friends were.

She and the others were definitely leaving Alaska; that much she knew. Sara hoped so, at least. She couldn't stand it there anymore. Anywhere in Alaska only brought bad memories.

When she actually tried to stand up and stretch, her back and shoulders cracked so nicely. That grenade did some crazy things to her body, making it all numb. It was one of the most painful experiences of her life—physically at least, because she could have a whole chat about her emotional pain, but that was just going to be a drag. They had more important things to do.

"Alright," said Sara, facing everyone. "Brenda, fill me up. Where're we going?"

Brenda clapped her hands together once and took a seat. "Denver. We're trying to look for Hans. He used to work for WICKED like us. We have to remove that implant in your brains if we really want WICKED to stop tracking you around."

Thomas joined the conversation. "Okay, wait. How do you know where to find this guy after all this time?"

Brenda looked uncertain, and it was Rebecca who replied instead.

"He used to be friends with the first chancellor, Anderson. Hans was an honest man, and good-hearted," Rebecca said as she took a seat on the bed Sara was previously lying on. Sara couldn't help but notice the switch in her tone as she mentioned whoever Anderson was. "When I was little, Hans would be the only person I could really talk to. He was different. And he was close to my mother and Anderson. Hans offered to take care of me after... my mother had me. We were still in contact a few years ago."

"I'm curious," Chuck began, and scrunched his eyebrows. "What happened to that Anderson guy? I've heard several people talk about him now."

Rebecca shifted uncomfortably, and it was more than obvious that the conversation had been taken to a whole other level. She hadn't opened up too widely about her past. All she gave Sara while she still lived in HQ, were a few highlights of when she got the job with WICKED. There was something dark hidden in all that background. That pretty face of hers held a plethora of emotions that needed healing. Sara even started to feel guilty for getting so angry at her, when there was still more of her that she didn't even know of; the things she'd had to go through besides the nightmare she lived with Janson.