Ch 34 - Just a Friend

~Sara~

She couldn't believe the terrible timing. The absolutely catastrophic timing.

Trying to approach her angry boyfriend, she held out her hand. "Newt, hey, calm down. Why are you acting like this?" She knew for sure, but it wasn't gonna help if she tried excusing herself first thing. Somehow that never worked out for anyone, not even if they were telling the truth.

And Newt was upset regardless. "Do you really want me to answer that? How about you tell me why? Why did you do this? I thought you were happy with me." Okay, maybe he was overreacting just a tad.

Sara frowned at him. "I am! Why are you doubting me? I was just helping Thomas after some slintheads beat him up and left him here. I was comforting him; he was scared!"

Newt scoffed, crossing his arms. "That's not what I was told," he grumbled.

"Hey, man, it's true. I would never do that to you. I don't even know you guys," Thomas added, and Sara wished he would just be quiet before making things worse.

She grabbed Newt's shoulders and forced him to look at her. "What were you told?"

"I was just discussing some things with Alby when some shank told me to go with him. He said I needed to know about something," he told her, looking uncomfortable, but Sara urged him to continue. Newt flickered his eyes away from her. "He asked if I knew where you were, and I said I didn't. Then... he said he was so sorry to tell me this, but that he thought you were cheating on me."

Sara couldn't believe this was happening. A master plan, that's what it was.

"Wow." She scoffed.

Newt continued. "I nearly attacked the buggin' shank. But he told me he was sure he saw Thomas go into the deadheads and you follow right after." He sent an icy stare at Thomas.

"Well, he lied to you. Congratulations," Sara snapped, and her voice was sharp. It was a déjà vu from the old times, when arguing with Newt was a daily normalcy.

And Newt seemed to have the same idea. His tone was rising again. "Really? What do you suppose it means that I come here to confirm my initial thoughts that he lied, and coincidentally, none of you are anywhere around the Glade, and I find you and this... shank hugging?"

Sara grimaced with hurt, but she was annoyed. "That he lied to you! Why don't you ask me what I was told instead?"

He frowned, and for a moment, he didn't know what to say. Sara beat him to it.

"Yeah, Newt. I got worried you hadn't shown up at all. I spent about twenty minutes looking for you, and then some boy told me that you were in danger somewhere in the deadheads. How do you think I felt when he said that? I didn't even think twice, and when I came rushing in here to find you, I saw Thomas instead. He was tied to a tree and muzzled!" She shouted at him, extremely offended.

Newt's expression faltered. "What—?"

Sara wasn't gonna stop, however. "He was scared, and he had no idea where you were. I had to help him, and all I wanted was to calm him down. You're being ridiculous."

Thomas tried to help her out once again. "Look, it's true. I was getting some food when someone clamped my mouth and forced me to come here. Then a couple other guys started beating me up, and they said that if I fought back or anything, they'd hurt your girlfriend. I'm just as confused as both of you are right now. I also kinda wanna know what happened."

Several other Gladers must've heard all the shouting because they crept behind the trees and approached the scene. Alby and Minho were the first ones to come and start asking questions.