Ch 32 - Chat with Minho

~A/N:

In this chapter, you'll really get a taste of how bad things are looking for Sara at this point.

––––––––––––––––––

~Sara~

This could be the beginning of countless peaceful nights at last.

But not tonight.

Despite Newt and Sara having had talked things through, not even that, nor the comfort from him sleeping next to her was enough to ease the anxiety she gained from her dream.

There was just too much to it. Too many hidden secrets that held a depth too rooted and dark for her to act like it was just a passive dream.

She couldn't do it anymore.

Some fresh air out in the open of the Glade was what she needed. Maybe if she spent some good time thinking out there, looking up at the night sky—no matter if it was just an illusion—perhaps she could find some desperately needed peace of mind.

Somehow, she managed to untangle herself out of Newt's arms, being extra careful not to wake him up. The last thing she needed was for him to be sleep deprived after the day they just had.

With a blanket draped over her shoulders, she aimlessly took a stroll around the Glade. Images from the dream flashed in her mind like an ancient horror movie.

That day Sara's father was killed... she thought she'd actually escaped and saved herself from those guards. Everything was a lie. She was led straight into the trap. Those guards were sent by Janson to kill her father if she refused to go with them. Janson set it all up so that Sara would come running straight to him, and he could have her under his control. He dragged her on, for two years, with the fake promise that he'd find her family, when in reality, they'd been dead all along.

Her mind reeled with the daunting realization.

It was all a lie. All part of the dark, manipulative plot Janson had created.

Her entire family was gone.

Silent tears rolled down her cheeks as she was finally able to mourn her family without hiding it. She didn't even bother to wipe her face. She simply let all the bottled-up tears fall freely as she took a seat on the log, next to where the bonfires usually took place.

"Sara?" a voice startled her.

She quickly hid her face in the blanket and wiped the tears away. There was never enough time to cry alone anymore. "Minho! Wha—what are you doing here?"

"Me? What about you? I thought you were with... Newt." He took a seat next to her, resting against the log. He frowned once he inevitably caught a clear glimpse of her face.

She cleared her throat to at least clear away the sadness in her voice. "Yeah. Yeah, I was. I—uh... I just needed some fresh air, that's all. I can't fall asleep."

"Did you guys argue or something?"

Sara shook her head, but the question made another wave of anxiety sweep past her. "No... but I'm afraid it could happen soon."

Minho looked confused. "Why do you say that?"

Her words got caught up in her throat and she couldn't let them out. Minho looked disappointed that she wasn't willing to be completely honest with him, and he sighed, turning away from her with a distant look.

"It's the nightmare, huh?" Minho continued asking, and Sara couldn't help noticing he was acting strange. She couldn't explain it, but Minho didn't seem like himself; like maybe something was going on with him too. And especially since he was still around at that hour of the night.