Ch 73 - Jarrod

~A/N:

As you can already tell by the title and the gif, we finally get to meet a new character. His appearance may seem brief, but he is like SO important to the plot, you have no idea.

Anyway, I hope you all love my bby boy Jarrod as much as I do!

Thanks for reading if you've gotten this far ;)

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

~Sara~

The three of them slowly crept out with their hands up as the man kept his gun pointed at them.

He was a middle aged man with blond hair that cascaded just below his ears. He obviously looked vigorous enough to be able to shoot people, which was already a present problem.

Sara had lost count of how many times she'd been pointed at with a gun. It was rather annoying more than it was nerve-wracking.

"I don't like WICKED. I hate 'em," the guy started muttering, not really bothering to look at them. "Especially when they try to disguise themselves. I want your names before I kill you," he said, an annoyed tone lacing his voice.

He looked furious, as if Sara, Newt, or Rebecca had done something unforgivable. It didn't make sense. Sara didn't even know who those people were.

"Uh..." Rebecca began, "We're not with WICKED anymore—we're... runaways."

"Runaways?" the guy repeated, a mocking tone in his voice. "Runaways who had time to steal a berg? We were just about to raid it; thought we'd take a look at who rode it first before killing them and taking the berg for ourselves." He gave the three a cunning smile. What a dumb way to die; to end up killed by a bunch of random strangers that could only want trouble. "Yo Randy, can you imagine? Poetic ending, huh? Us bringing down WICKED, mounted on one of their bergs," he mused, his eyes full of delight.

"Aye, man. It's not everyday we get to ride one of those expensive beauties," another random guy, whom Sara assumed was Randy, replied.

Rebecca stepped forward. "Wait—"

The main guy groaned impatiently, then gestured at a few of his men to take hold of them. "Names. That's the first thing WICKED ever took from those kids. Now I want yours."

The men pushed the three of them forward, gripping their arms tightly as they struggled to break free.

"We're not working with WICKED! Not everyone that gets away with stealing a berg comes from them—ow, shuck!" Sara shouted, her voice strained as she tried to pull free.

Seriously, who were these people, and what were they doing in McGrath?

"Of course not," the same guy agreed casually, taking a couple of steps forward until he was inches away from Newt's face. Taking the tip of his gun, he placed it under Newt's chin and forced him to look at his face. Newt gave him a firm stare, but Sara could tell he was only minutes away from another outburst. "I would also like to know..." The guy began, his voice tauntingly curious, "Why do you have a Crank with you? You even realize what this thing can do to you? Might as well get rid of him now," he finished, pressing the tip of the gun directly on Newt's forehead.

Sara was furious, wanting to rip the guy's smirk from his face. But Newt was taking the situation a little differently.

"You'd do me a favor, actually," said Newt, his expression idle and unwavering. The way he said it startled Sara, and she gave Rebecca a nervous look. "But try anything funny with the women, and I'll have a little fun sinking my teeth into your flesh," Newt added, and his tone changed. That wasn't really Newt saying that. His eyes were a little more bloodshot, and what really got Sara on edge was the creepy giggle that came out of his mouth.