"So we're..!"

(A/N: this is an AU I've had on my mind for a while.)

Kaede ventured the prolonged halls of the castle. This wasn't a regular castle, though. This was a royal castle! Kaede was no noble, not at all. She had been chosen to play piano for a certain gathering.

Now that the gathering was over, Kaede was attempting to make her way out of the castle. However, the directions had went in one ear and out the other. It was all up to her to make her way out now.

Kaede seemed to go in circles. She'd seen this same garden three times...maybe four? Kaede couldn't really tell. For all she knew, there could be multiple identical gardens. She decided to just continue walking. She'd make her way out eventually, right?

Kaede the thought about the odds of her getting to be here. She was the ultimate pianist after all. It was customary that she attend events like these. Still, the Iruma family always seemed so out of reach. And now here she was, lost in their castle walls.

Come to think of it, wasn't the princess the ultimate inventor? She was a real beauty, the princess. Although Kaede thought so, she'd told herself that she didn't have a chance a while ago. Kaede made sure to know her place. She was a commoner, simply invited to gatherings to play music.

Without thinking, Kaede stumbled into a room that she probably shouldn't have. Inside of that room, was the princess, Miu Iruma. Even though Kaede has just interrupted Miu's privacy, Miu didn't seem too mad about it.

Kaede stood there, dumbfounded.

"At least close the door behind you." Snickered the princess.

"Oh! Uhm.." Kaede snapped back into it, "I-I'm sorry! I'll see myself out now."

"No! Stay. I could use some company." Miu patted the couch cushion right next to where she was sitting. "You're the piano chick, right?"

After closing the door, the startled pianist made her way to the couch. "Y-yes! I'm Kaede Akamatsu, the Ultimate Pianist."

"We're sort of one in the same, then."

Kaede waved her hands back and forth, "No, no! I'm just a commoner! I could never put myself on the same level as you, your highness."

Miu stopped Kaede's hands with her own. "You might as well start now, then. We're both the best at what we do, no?"

"Y-yes but.. You're a noble!"

"Think of me as a friend, Kaede." Truthfully, Miu had taken an interest in Kaede. The way Kaede played piano at the gathering took her breath away. Kaede looked so brave, like nothing fazed her. Now that Kaede was here with her, Miu realized that Kaede was actually timid in a way. This only interested Miu more.

Kaede blushed. "A-A friend?"

"You heard me." The princess smiled a smile of complete kindness. Kaede hadn't seen one this pure in a while.

Kaede smiled. Never once had she imagined a princess would want to be friends with her.

Miu retracted her hands, "In fact, I think I'll make you my pianist. What do you say?"

"Wha- Y-You mean it?" Kaede was taken aback by how fast this situation was going.

"No one'll question my decision. With my genius, I practically run the place." Miu wasn't lying. For a while, all of the decisions had been heavily based on her suggestions. Sure, Miu was too young to rule, but the head didn't know what to do. After the king and queen had disappeared five years ago, things had been tough.

"W-what comes with being your pianist?"

"Honestly, it depends on the person. But with me, you'll be by my side 24/7." Despite what she'd just said, Miu kept her composure.