Letting Himself Fall (Reader X Romeo)

Temperature, actor, resource.

Three word prompts + give plot.

[「-」]

There was a thick wave of fog that rolled around him, the skies tore apart and were sucked into a vast valley under his feet. It was only one step away from letting the brooks bellow swallow him up. He stepped forward, letting the path guide him, engulfed in the breezes and winds. It was like ice, the world around him, so cold. The temperature seemed to drop further down and tipped into the waters.

"Riddle me this, riddled and not. Who's the loser and who's falling flat?" A voice echoed through the trees that Romeo swore weren't there just a second ago. 

"X-Xara!" He shivered.

"Riddle me this, riddle me that. Who's falling, going 'splat'?" A low chuckle strung from the river's craggy roads.

"Fred?" Romeo spun around.

"Riddle me this, riddled and not, riddle me this, riddle me that." A mischievous voice rang, a chaotic mess of every voice he's ever known. Deep and high, long and strung, quick-paced, venomous, kind, riddle me, riddle me, riddle me, riddle me

"Riddle me this, riddled and not, riddle me this, riddle me that." Like an out of tune and rhyme orchestra. Screech goes the strings, popping off, round and round. Deep and high, child and man, riddle me riddle me, riddle me, riddle me

Panicking?

Yes.

No.

Riddles.

Puzzles.

Death.

Fall.

Loser.

Failure.

Why?

No.

Yes.

Sky.

Fly.

Run.

No.

Stand.

No.

Fly.

Away.

No.

Going.

Go?

Go.

No!

"You're nothing." Jesse laughed.

"Failure." They taunted.

A whirlpool of hurt.

Yes.

No.

Just maybe.

"Romeo?"

Ah, another one.

Not them.

Please.

They matter.

"Romeo!"

Please.

"Wake up."

Did he?

His eyes were staring blankly at the ceiling with no sign of moving. There was a small hiss of his breath. (Y/N) crossed their legs as they sat on the sheet in their sleepwear, their eyes wary as the moon.  If one gazes upon the two figures that lay on the bed, it would seem like a movie, the actors breathing slowly and letting the air embrace them.

"Are you alright?"

"Everything hurts."

"So... no?"

Romeo groaned, "Nooo." He flipped over to muffle into the pillow he lay on.

"Everything's alright."

He made a face after he sat up from his position. "For you? You usually don't say these things."

"Just telling the truth." (Y/N) gazed out the window.

"No, you're not."

"Why? Am I ever wrong?"

"It's not if you're right or wrong, but what the world wants for me."

"I can be right about what the world wants."

"But for me?"

"Yes, for you." (Y/N) smiled, patting the bed around their legs, shuffling to lean in closer to their friend.

"Good." Romeo rolled his eyes.

"Hey, you know, who knows what the world has for you? For all you know, the world is waiting for you to smile." (Y/N) shrugged.

Silence washed over Romeo. He can only think of the people who walk by and murmur his name like a curse. Those people laugh at his falls, his trips. They want him in their wraths, squeezed.

But not them.

They are unique.

They like him.

Just like he likes them.

Someone who cares.

"Goodnight." He smiled. Only just realizing how much he had with (Y/N), how many memories that could be made and adventures to find. He just knew from that smile about to appear. 

(Y/N) smiled back, like what Romeo knew was going to do, a small chuckle forming from their throat. "Yeah. Goodnight, don't let the bed-bugs bite?"

A resource of happiness, maybe.

Romeo nodded with his lips quirked up.

"Do they dare?"

"Nah, they're too scared." (Y/N) waved their hand around.

"But you're not."

"Who knows? The world is very bold in its choices." They hummed.

Riddle me this, riddle them all. He knows he's not falling, so no one at all?

He won't fall.

"Thank you," Romeo says to the moon.

He won't let himself.